REPLY

Monday, July 11, 2011

Committed through the scriptures

"Certainly there are times when getting the family together to read the scriptures does not stack up as a spiritual experience worthy of a journal entry. But we must not be deterred. There are special times when a spirit of a son or daughter is just right and the power of these great Scriptures goes down into their hearts like fire. As we honor our Heavenly Father in our homes, He will honor our efforts."
~Neil L. Andersen
I couldn't help but to take this picture of Noah turning the pages of his sister's scriptures (without tearing them) last night. It's amazing how our little kids catch on so quickly and follow our example in wanting to do the things older people do! We are not a perfect family, and there have been days when something unexpected will occur, and we realized we didn't have our regular scripture study! It has also been extremely challenging during the school year, and easier for us to do it diligently during the summer.

When you have a husband who is in sales and works retail hours, and wakes up at 4:30 in the morning to teach seminary with four kids waking up at different times...it's challenging, and it takes a lot of devotion to open up that faith book. I know that it's going to be more challenging this next school year having three girls going to different schools at different times. High school, middle school, and elementary. That's what you get for having kids five years apart, but we make it work. Sometimes we will read in the evening. I miss that routine of waking up at the same time when the kids were younger and having hardly any stress. Welcome to reality!! As our kids get older, I find that it takes more commitment to do the things that are right and pleasing to our Heavenly Father.

Our Home teacher from our church came over yesterday to teach, and discuss with us the First Presidency Message given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. The lesson was on being committed to our Heavenly Father's commandments, and not just the commandments and covenants that appeal to us. I once heard that sometimes we treat the commandments like a menu...I'd like a side of forgiveness, but I don't think I want to serve. I love charity, but hate having a cup of humbleness. I found that interesting. The message stated how some of us may "sort of" receive blessings if we are "sort of" committed. I became a member of this church for a reason and that is to do my best in all things. I just don't want to be "sort of" committed, but be fully committed. Reading the scriptures on a daily basis really strengthens our family, and helps us in becoming more committed. We want to receive the full blessings of happiness and not just "sort of" receive them.

I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday...(Noah's thought in the second picture.)

I can see the light in my children's faces particularly the little ones when they see that we are going to do something that they have seen us do many times...Opening up that faith book!
It's not always easy to find the time, but I know that after reading a chapter or even just a verse makes the days of my life happier and easier for me to take on the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment