REPLY

Monday, March 11, 2013

a side order of food poisoning.

This past weekend my two youngest children had a little bit of food poisoning. 

Usually I panic when any of the kids get sick, but I was calm, and handled it pretty well. When these kids are sick they are so mindful of each other, and very sweet. They do sick really well, and I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for that. Especially when you're all alone. The last time Noah got sick Jon happened to be off. Not this time. 

Losing that extra hour of sleep while the kids are sick didn't help. Then again, it's probably a good thing daylight savings time kicked in the night before because Noah woke up early this morning puking too.

Chelsea had some bad tomato soup on Saturday, and unfortunately Noah had too much dairy in one sitting last night which is not good for a kid his age. He loves milk, and lots of cheese in our lasagna, but when he eats too much of it he obviously gets sick. We definitely learned our lesson on that one.

Now the house is pretty quiet. Noah has been sleeping on the rocking chair for the past few hours. Chelsea is laying on the couch watching Mary Poppins, and is slowly falling sleep. She is recovering quickly, and I know that tomorrow Noah will let all the energy that was bottled up inside today come out tomorrow, and I'm prepared for that.
Sincere motherhood totally takes over the instant my kids get sick. I jump at the drop of a hat when any of my kids cry, yell out 'mom', or start puking in the wee hours of the morning.  

The five year gap between all my children has been a huge blessing throughout my life as a mother. Sometimes I wonder how I would handle sick kids if they were a year or two apart. Not sure, and I'll never know. I'd probably cry a lot. Wait a minute...I cried a little today so it doesn't make a difference how far apart in age children are. 

But I'm a strong mama, and tomorrow is a new day. 
I signed up for this job as a mom with kids who will get sick, and I'm so happy I did.  

It's part of life as a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment