REPLY

Thursday, March 14, 2013

small acts of kindness.

Having two teenagers puking simultaneously at the beginning of the week was very exhausting. Especially when my two youngest had a head start over the weekend. Even though I felt as if I got a good workout by carrying Noah to and from the bathroom, it was not fun watching his small body shivering, and going through some trauma. 

I didn't care that Noah's toys were spread out all over the living room floor, or that the sink was piled with dirty dishes, or that there were Wawa fruit bowls thrown on the floor. 

I didn't care about the Campbell's chicken noodle soup cans on the side of the couch, the junk mail piled a mile high on the piano, unmade beds, or that the laundry basket was filled to capacity with towels, sheets, and pillowcases covered with throw up.

Oh no, I didn't care about any of that. All I cared about was tending to my kids, and making myself well so that I can take care of them.

Luckily Jon & I have iron stomachs and all we sustained was a slight fever and massive chills. We have never in our married life experienced food poisoning with our kids. None of our children have any food allergies, and every dinner that we've cooked in our home has always strengthened our bodies, not weakened them. Needless to say something we all ate this past weekend made our stomachs turn, and it was terrible.

After 24 hours everyone was feeling better. Granted we were still a little bit weak afterwards due to lack of food. We were all scared to eat anything heavy so we started out with fruit, toast, some applesauce, and crackers. 

Sierra was especially nervous to eat anything at all. She was our preemie baby who only weighed four pounds at birth, and even though she has a healthy appetite, she can also hurl at the drop of a hat.

So what is comforting when you have chaos dealing with illness in your family...
Receiving good mail by my regular sales representative from Zappos, a thoughtful sticky note from the sister missionaries, a sweet text from my dear friend in Texas, and a phone call from another dear friend who's closer to home. 

Having these friends showering me with affection, and thoughtfulness came at the right moment, and you know what else? I count my blessings for having such wonderful people in my life. Those blessings are always needed especially since I don't have immediate family close by, and boy do I make them count! 

To focus on someone in taking the time to call, mail a card, or simply drop by can be a huge task for many of us today. 

For those of you who take the time to read my blog, and are connected with me through social media, thank you for your time in posting, and sending kind messages. 

Those small acts of kindness are a big deal.
Don't ever stop doing them. 

Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment