REPLY

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sweet Green & the Philadelphia Temple.


Yesterday I woke up anxiously wanting to do something spontaneous. The weather has been super cold lately, and you know me...I can't stay indoors for too long. Well I could, but today something was nudging us to go out. With Jon driving for UPS he tends to get tired easily delivering 140 packages a day, and it's only going to accumulate after Thanksgiving. There are days when Jon will go to bed at midnight, and wake up at 6am. Not good! Poor Jon went back to sleep after walking Cheslea to her bus stop, and like a good wife I let him catch some zzzz's before I woke him up again! I feel bad sometimes having to wake him up, but I don't want him to sleep all morning long on his day off. It's not like he works graveyard he just likes going to bed late!! I quietly shook him, and said, "Babe...wake up. How about if we go to Philly and see where it guides us?" I know...pretty spontaneous huh? 

He obliged, and we all got dressed, and headed out to Philly. 

On my way over there I was thinking about Sierra. Wondering if she's eating, and getting enough sleep. I heard a voice whispering in my ear to text her asking her what she was doing. I know her schedule, but forget sometimes. It was 11:30 when we were crossing the Walt Whitman Bridge, and she texted me back right away. She was in the Mangia building (where she eats for free because she's a student), standing in line waiting to get something to eat...all by herself. The friends that she's made this semester are all graduate students and/or have jobs, and her roommate has a different major which requires different class times. She has another girlfriend who lives in her building, but she is too a dancer and has different class times as well. So...as you can see Sierra is pretty much on her own these days for the remaining last two weeks of the semester.

It's getting closer to the holidays, and I am so thankful that she will be home for Thanksgiving, and Christmas. We don't have to spend money on flying her out for the holiday...for now! I am also grateful for that still small voice that whispers to me "sweet every things" that are meant for me to act upon on. 

I didn't want to be selfish, and go into the city without attempting to see Sierra. I honestly did think I'd see her being that she might be busy, but she wasn't. She was standing in line alone waiting to eat. We arrived within 10 minutes of the text, and she looked thrilled! Makes me feel good knowing that she appreciates seeing our face! Most kids want to move as far away as possible from their folks these days. She had hot chocolate warming up her hands devoid of having no gloves. She needs to invest in those, or better yet we'll buy her some! 
We decided to eat at sweetgreen. This place is pretty awesome. It is super healthy, and everything is organic. Jon wasn't too crazy about the cucumber lemonade though, and truthfully...neither was I. His words were..."cucumbers, and limes just don't mix!" I laughed so hard. The lemonade tasted pretty good, and all the salads we ordered were delicious!!
 ^^ we ordered the "November", Juacamole greens, and Sierra made up her own of this & that. ^^
^^ Noah's favorite was the bread, and the lemonade ^^
Since Sierra didn't have class until 3:00 we decided to drive by the grounds of where the Philadelphia temple is being built. We hadn't been by since we saw this big hole in the ground, and guess what? We saw some progress in the making!
We had such a wonderful afternoon with Sierra, and I'm so grateful we rescued her from the bitter cold to eat inside a warm place, and venture out to witness the hard work these men are doing. Handling construction, hammering, climbing scaffolds, plastering, and building in the cold, windy weather is no easy feat, and I am so grateful to these men who are using their hands throughout the cold weather to build this House of The Lord.

Looking forward to 2016 for its completion. 
Fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment