REPLY

Friday, November 8, 2013

look for the lovely no matter what.

As I was on my to pick up Sierra from her dorm last night so many thoughts began forming in my head. I was recollecting our conversations we've been having since she first left for college. Wondering if she truly is happy with her surroundings. I see it in her face that she longs to be around  good people, and "real friends". She longs to be surrounded by pure things that bring in a good spirit. I have put my girls on a pedestal, and I have realized that I shouldn't do that because no one is perfect...no one. I love how our girls are so kind, loving, and accepting to everyone they meet, but they are also human, and will eventually make mistakes, and learn from them on their own. I want them to know that i will be here for them no matter what. I want them to know that I won't judge them, and that those "mean" words that sometimes come out of my mouth are those of a mother who at one point in her life...made mistakes too. I want them to know that they will always have a home to escape to when life takes a toll on them. I want them to know that even if they go to a college that is 3000 miles away that I still need them in my life. I also want them to know that words said in frustration are never meant to be said. 

We are so fortunate to have Sierra home with us at this moment, and I'm glad that she is close by to spend Noah's fourth birthday, Thanksgiving, and the Christmas holiday with us. I'm extremely grateful that we didn't move like we had planned, and that she is attending school nearby in Philly. She continues to learn from so many experiences as she attends there...both the good, bad, and the ugly.

One great thing about going to a college anywhere in the world is the fact that there is a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints nearby. Whether it's a 10, 20, or 30 minute drive there will be one. Sierra is lucky to have one 10 minutes away that comes with a loving bishop, awesome visiting teachers & home teachers who check up on her periodically. She is a special girl who needs that strength in her life because living in the city...especially one like Philly where UARTS is known to be a "party school" can be stressful, and hard. I have told her many times to be strong, and to do the things that are right by God. 

We live in a world where it's sometimes hard to "look for the lovely" (wise words from my friend Casey) especially when bad things happen to someone we know and love. We are a fortunate people to have this wonderful gospel which truly brings us joy, and gives us the strength we need to not give in to anything that is unclean, or immoral. Something that I didn't have while growing up.  I believe that with continued consistency in attending all our meetings at church, reading the scriptures, and praying to The Lord that we will be protected, and guided by the spirit. 

Sometimes for some of us that's not always the case, and bad things happen to good people. I have taught my kids that the world is not perfect, and living in it doesn't mean that we need to be living the way the billboards, media, & magazines want us to live. Oh no...we don't need to live that way. Let's not forget those unclean popups that come up while we're searching for an article on the internet. Temptation, and peer pressure is worsening as our children get older, and if we're not careful it is easy to succumb to it these days. It is everywhere, and it will even target the stalwarth ones. 

I know this for a fact because it happened to me in my past after converting to the church. I realized that when I stopped doing the things that I know kept me on the straight and narrow (such as scripture study, praying, etc.) that the spirit was not as strong, and it's real easy to lose your focus. It is then that I realized that I would never be perfected in this life, but knowing that I had a chance to right the wrongs I did after my conversion gave me hope. Hope and faith to never falter again.

As parents it's important to develop a strong bond in relationships with your children & to keep those lines of communication open 24/7. We want our kids to treat the gospel differently & better than we did while we were newlywed. I want them to know that we will always be here to listen to them just as Heavely Father is there to listen to them as well.  
Oh...how this world can truly be a beautiful place where one can live, and prosper in. We just need to look for the lovely no matter how unlovely it can get. 

look for the lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment