REPLY

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

a quote that makes my life all better.

President Marion G. Romney said, "I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will growThe spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake of peace, joy, and happiness." (Ensign, May 1980, p. 67).

This is one my favorite quotes that always caught my attention every time someone would give a talk or a lesson at church. It didn't resonate with me at the time because I was 20, and didn't have a family of my own nor was I raised in the church, but I loved it! As I was slowly progressing, learning, and gaining more knowledge from reading the Book of Mormon there was something between the lines in that book that was preparing me for the words in that simple quote. Little did I know that I was going to get married (like two years after joining the church) & have a family of my own shortly thereafter. 

See...I wanted to serve a full-time mission, but because my head got mixed up with boys (the good kind) my heart started to change, and I knew that I wanted a husband (a good one.) I just didn't know which one was going to be the right one. I dated pure mormons. That's it. Mormon boys were it for me. I didn't want to involve myself with anyone outside my new faith. I got lucky and married my best friend whom I knew for three years. Time flew and we had Sierra right away...and I mean right away. We were a little nervous at first not knowing what to expect, but because we had the knowledge that I learned of the purpose of what it means to have a family, and with Jon's experience in serving a mission in bringing others to Christ, to see the love & family in an eternal perspective gave us the confidence we needed to raise a family. It didn't matter that we were young (23 is young for me) with a child, unfinished education with hardly any money. We had each other, our faith, our baby daughter, and we knew that somehow God will provide.  

And He did. 

It didn't matter that we struggled for half our young life, and guess what? We still have our struggles! Whether it's financially, emotionally, or spiritually everyone has them. But you know what else? We don't allow that to destroy our spirituality, or confidence in knowing that this church is true. That Heavenly Father is always there to hear our cries, and prayers. That He will find a way to help us, our children and if sometimes those prayers come unanswered...it's okay! That's how we learn, and grow. 

Knowing that some things weren't meant to be. 

Raising my kids with a firm foundation of The Lord is a huge blessing. Huge! Sometimes i still can't believe that I am into God. I mean really into Him. No, I'm not one that dances and jumps around convulsing on the floor, and we don't clap our hands while singing in church. We worship reverently in a calm manner resting our feet & sitting down quietly (it's impossible for me with a four year old) listening to various talks every Sunday. I am just really passionate about what I've learned, still learning, and knowing more about the gospel. 21 years of membership in the church isn't enough time for me to be a scriptural scholar nor will I ever be, and maybe serving a mission may have made me one, but seriously...does memorizing the scriptures really get us into heaven? I don't think so. It's how we use that memorization, and knowledge in sharing it. So I wasn't too upset that I didn't have an opportunity to serve a mission because I know that once all our children are grown that we will serve one as a senior couple. Plus...I enjoy being challenged with the scriptures, and who knows...maybe I'll know more in my 60's as opposed to my 40's! 

I'm so grateful for the 21 years I've had to learn from the gospel, and various members in the church all over the world. Everything that our leaders say are true, and the things they advise us on how to treat life, God, & mankind makes me want to be a better person. 

Sierra has been a great example to me when it comes to learning, growing, and thinking of others. Last Sunday she surprised me with a sticky note in my scriptures. I'm still new at being a Sunday school teacher for gospel doctrine, and even though I seem confident I still get the jitters. Her note wishing me luck in class boosted up my spirituality in knowing that I will have a good class, and I think i did. Her loving spirit, and kind words are proof enough that i have done something right in raising her. 
As a family we strive to live the commandments, and let me tell you in this day and age it is hard! Especially when you are running around in four different directions with a kid in college, middle school, elementary school, and keeping up with a very active fun four year old at home with no grandparents, aunts, or uncles nearby...it can be tough. We manage our time to fit in all the things that will keep our family together knitted with love, and strength. 
I never want to stop learning from this great book. No matter how many times I've read it, or studied it the meaning is never the same, and i never get bored! It truly does mold a family in a way that is different (at least it does for me), and no matter what trials we encounter I know that with fervent prayer, true faith, and time...it will all pass us by. 

I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon, and for that quote by Marion G. Romney which is a reminder to me to never give up on doing the things that will strengthen our children. But most of all I am grateful for my membership in this church that is keeping me on my toes no matter how many times I have fallen down.

And it has been...for 21 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment