REPLY

Monday, August 11, 2014

Girls Camp '14

Dropping off Lexie, and seeing all the other young women from our church getting ready to head off to girls camp last week was a beautiful sight to see. I wasn't raised with any of the youth programs in the church because I was 20 when I joined, hence missing out on all the church activities the youth had. So every year when girls camp comes along I get excited for my daughter to attend...and so does she. This year we had a lot of first timers going and I could see the excitement on their faces. I'm sure they had butterflies in their stomach, and even if they did, I certainly didn't notice. 

This year I was so excited knowing that I would attend simply because I am the secretary in the Stake Young Women program, but to no avail (couldn't find a sitter for my two youngest.) I know...bummer huh? Still...that didn't stop me from driving up on the last day of camp along with another sister to attend testimony meeting, and to see if we could somehow jump in and serve. 

Although  it was the last day of camp I felt nothing but a strong spirit of fun, and love among all the young women. These girls range from the ages of 12-18, and observing them in their actions, and words was overwhelming to me. They were all having a good time, singing while eating dinner in the mess hall. I kind of felt like I was in a G scene  (without the males) of Meatballs the movie! I didn't really see anyone looking all miserable, or alone. I even got a "hello", and not one, but two hugs from two young women whom I thought weren't too fond of me. Okay...even it it was the spirit that helped them be polite to me it felt nice knowing that the spirit of Christ is helping them, and they were kind to me even if it was just for that day. 

Attending testimony meeting for the first time at girls camp brought a lot of tears to my eyes. I wished I would have gone to camp when my oldest (she's 19 now) attended, but I never thought to do that. Hearing all the testimonies of these young women were courageous, and some of them really resonated with me. I will never know how it feels to be a teenager, and a mormon with all the beliefs we have, and being the only member in school. These kids have it tough, but are strong. They have to be. I'm so happy for those who hang on and continue to strive each day to stay on that path of righteousness, and even though there will be a lot of ups and downs, there is a way to overcome them, and stay happy. And that is through hanging on to the iron rod of God...with a lot of faith! 

After listening to their testimonies this past weekend, one thing I felt compelled to do was ask a few of our young women via Facebook, and texting what their favorite part of camp was. It was so nice reading their responses, and could feel their love through this great thing called social networking! 

"What was your favorite part of girls camp?" 

"Getting to know my level one girls"-Ashley
"The hike"-Cimmaron
"Catching up with all my friends."-Allyana
"The mini testimony meeting that their level had." -Jade
"The hike & Lehi's dream."-Lexie
"Level time with my girls, and swimming in the pool!"-Randi
"The songs, and swimming in the pool, but not the spiders." -Grace 
"Everyone's spiritual experience at Lehi's dream, and bonding with the girls!" -Talia 
"Forming friendships, and laughing hysterically with the girls!"-Hannah
"Getting to know my level one girls, and having devotional with them every night."-Flor
"Lehi's dream, and the food!"-Lucy
"Lehi's dream, and testimony meeting."-Jasmine
"Lehi's dream. It was amazing how the spirit got to us while we were trying to hold on the rope, and trying to not let   go of the gospel, trying to get to the tree of life!"-Itzelle
"Family home evening with our Bishop on the last day, and being that I am a fourth year, hearing the girls cheering us on coming up from our overnight hike!"-Georgi

What awesome responses! I wish I could have asked this question to all of the 130 young women who attended camp, but I know that they were all spiritually enlightened! 

I'm so pleased with all the young women, and how they all interacted with each other for that one day I was there. Seeing their smiles, and receiving hugs from them felt so good. It made me feel loved, and appreciated, and every one needs hugs today! So grateful for the friendships that my daughter has made with the young women in our ward. Lexie tries so hard to reach out, accept, and love everyone unconditionally. 
I pray many blessing upon these girls with all that they have to look forward to in their futures. I know that by reading their scriptures daily, and developing a stronger relationship with the Lord will strengthen their spirituality, and help them make it in this thing that we sometimes struggle with called...Life. 
I love, love all the young women in the stake including this gem of mine. I have such compassion for everyone. Please know that I'm here for you anytime you need anything! Stay strong in the gospel, seek good things, but most of all...never forget who you are. 

A beautiful daughter (s) of God! 

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment