REPLY

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Austin, Texas- Circa,1999.

It's been a while since I've written a throwback post, and even though these photos are hidden in a scrapbook without a depiction behind it would like to write a short story behind these photos so that my children can read all about the little adventures they took while living in various cities such as San Antonio & the Capitol city. 

"You can take the girl out of Texas, but you'll never take the Texas out of the girl" is something people would always tell me every time I bought up where I was born. I grew up in an area surrounded by lakes, and beaches. Rural areas, and a couple hours from the capitol city. Living in San Antonio was one of my favorite areas to live, and the best decisions Jon and I ever made. This is the city where we became "adults", were challenged with adversity, spiritually grew, and the best end result before moving back to Utah was having Lexie. 
One of my favorite memories before moving to the Beehive state was taking advantage of the things we often take for granted. In this case visiting the state capitol. We lived half an hour away from it, and in the three years we lived in San Antonio went zero times! Every weekend we would venture out to Austin to shop, and eat, but never visited the state capitol. Some of us may find capitol buildings boring, but there is something about the capitol city that makes me proud to be born in Texas. 
Lexie wasn't born yet, and having Sierra all to myself sharing, and talking to her what state capitols are all about, and why we visited this building was something she found interesting. I think she was more interested in walking around, and taking in the sunshine while being surrounded by the beautiful flowers that were planted all around the building. What can I say...she was five. 
The weather in Texas was, for the most part pretty perfect. Most days were hot, and humid, and summer all year round, but growing up in humidity is something you get used to, and when you're having too much fun you don't think about how hot it is. I remember this day being warm, but not too hot. If it was we wouldn't have been wearing long sleeve, and Capri pants!
I will always remember this sculpture. It reminds me of my ancestors, and pioneer heritage that my girls have inherited. Coming from a line of pioneers is something to be proud of, and I am grateful that my children are a part of that history.  
Sierra loved these statues of the children. I remember her mentioning how she wanted a sister, or brother, and little did we know her wish came true weeks later! She had fun taking a picture with these sculptures as if they were real kids! 
Our life living in Texas, although for a short time, was one of the best and humbling experiences we ever endured. I locked in those moments of joy, and learned from the trials we had, and brought them with me to our next move. Life was pretty simple when we were a family of three, but as my family grew into six it was even easier. Adding three extra kids to the mix was something I didn't plan, but I am happy that we did. Sierra is no longer an only child, and is grateful to have siblings. Just as she wished for in that one photo with the kids sculpture. 

Some people will ask if I miss Texas, and in all honesty I struggle in answering that question. People will ask why I moved to Utah, North Carolina, and then settled in Jersey, and why I don't move back to Texas where I have family. Truth is that as much as I love my momma I will not move back. My Texas roots will always be tucked in the back of my mind, but building them with a family was not in the picture nor will it ever be. I am grateful for technology, and phones where I can call, and see a picture of my momma in a text. FaceTime is a miracle too. There are many things I love about Texas, but building roots there was just not in the books. 

One thing for sure is that you definitely can take the girl out of Texas, but not the Texas out of the girl, and that is one thing that will never change with me. 

Never! 

No comments:

Post a Comment