REPLY

Monday, January 21, 2019

MLK On A Cold Winter's Day.

I don't know what it is with little kids, and cold temperatures. You'd think that because school is off that they'd sleep in, and want to stay indoors, but in all honestly because of the blue skies, and sun shining so bright didn't want to stay cooped up in the house, and so we went outside. Although the forecast showed temps were in the low teens with a windchill of -8 degrees I still went outside to see how cold it was, and it was freezing! The weather can be so deceiving when the sun is out! Especially when you look outside the window and the roads are bone dry! 

One thing for sure is that my little boy loves the outdoors. He loves going outside to play regardless of the weather being a 100 degrees or below zero, and because recess at school during the winter is held indoors he wanted to take advantage of going outside to play. Chelsea was smart. She decided to stay indoors, and get some much needed rest since she was getting over yet another cold! 
Noah came with me to run a few errands, and because we live close to the river decided to make a pit stop so he can let his wiggles out, and play for a bit. He lasted for about five minutes playing near the water where he was picking on rocks that were frozen solid to the ground. 
Still, watching him playing whilst capturing all the moments of his joy was beautiful in my eyes, and it reminded me of how beautiful this world can be. On our way driving home I asked him if he knew why he had no school. I knew he knew about him, but I wanted to strike a conversation with my little man, instead of him playing on his retro arcade. He wasn't even playing with that (he didn't bring it), he was coloring, and then he mentioned it was because of Martin Luther King Jr. I asked him what he was all about and Noah responded with some pretty impressive answers such as how he wanted to get the black and white little kids to play together, and like each other. He mentioned the word unite, and serve. We had a really sweet conversation about this day, and really appreciated his words of wisdom. Our conversation made me wonder how, if Martin Luther King were still alive today, how he would view us as a nation, and what things he'd like to change. I know that he definitely wouldn't want us to be segregated again, and build walls. I'm not one for politics, but this one, the one with the wall, really bothers me, and hearing Noah's impressive answers when I asked him about MLK and what he stood for gave me hope. 
Hope that our country will be unified someday without walls. 


Watching Noah be as sweet as he can be not having a care in the world of how cold the weather was today was a joy to see. Hearing him say how he would love to help others, and continue to have his friends love each other regardless of who they are, or where they're from makes me happy. To speak up when he sees a wrong being done. It shows that I am teaching this boy to love, be bold, and to unite with others no matter what. This is definitely a beautiful country we live in, and it's up to us to make it that way. It's beautiful to see our children happy. Can you imagine how our lives would be if we all just had a heart full of love and service. Just as Martin Luther King Jr. did. 

Yeah...I can imagine. And I imagine it everyday as I venture out on my own, and with my kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment