REPLY

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Thoughts Of A Stay At Home At Age 47.

H. Burke Peterson said, "Do without if you need to but don't do do without MOTHER. Mother is more important in the home than money or the things money can buy. Our Father in heaven wants you to be in your home to guide these spirits as o one else can, in spite of material sacrifices that may result. He created you to learn to be a good mother-an eternal mother. It is your first and foremost calling. No babysitter, no grandmother, no neighbor, no friend, no Relief Society sister, older brother, or sister ore even a loving dad can take your place."

This quote is so true for me and feel really blessed to have been able to be a stay at home momma to my children for the past 19 years. Even now with my two youngest in school full time still feel the need to continue to be home in case of an emergency. 

I don't want to miss out on their games or parties at school. I want to be able to continue to serve their teachers, and volunteer when needed. I want to be the one to take them to their doctor's appointments and although I had family in Utah while living there still never relied on them. Call it pride, or  being independent. I just never thought to call upon them even in an emergency. Even in the church I attend I hardly ever relied on anyone to watch over my kids unless it was a dire need. God really blessed me in that way. I never had my mom around when any of my children were born. She's lived in Texas her whole life, and because of the distance felt as if the Lord gave me the strength in not needing her to help me take care of them. There are a limited few that I can count on now in case I need someone to help, but while I'm nearing 50 fell super grateful to continue to have the energy and strength to serve my children on my own. 

To do without the needs of the world is a huge sacrifice too! I have never coveted things that other people have. I did when I was in high school, but going to college, marriage and children changed all that. I was super grateful for the little things I had while being a newlywed, and for the simple things I have now. 

Sure it would be nice to have an extra car, and own a home. To own an entire wardrobe that doesn't consist of wearing the same coat, and black skirts I've had for five years. To have that big, flat screen TV with Dolby sound, and a Steinway and sons baby grand piano. To take those luxurious trips to Europe, and Hawaii. All those things are fine and dandy, but to be honest, as you get up there in age, and have two adult daughters in college, and a vision of what's truly important in life none of those material things matter. 

Day trips to NYC, DC, and Boston are good enough for me. Long weekends at the Cape, Maine, Montauk, and Canada are the cream of the crop for me. Cross country road trips out west does it for me and long drives to North Carolina and Florida are even better. One day we'll have that trip to Europe, but for now my desires are putting the needs of my kids first, and being there for them no matter how old they get. 


No comments:

Post a Comment