REPLY

Friday, February 22, 2019

Things That Help Me Get Through The Winter Blues.

There was a time when I felt that self-help books were ridiculous and that I didn't need a book to tell me how to think, parent, or behave. Self-help books may not be for everyone, but I guarantee this one really helped shape me into thinking happy! With the weather being dreary with snowy weather that doesn't last really long can really put us in a bad mood. I thought of this quote from this book and wanted to share a few things as to what can make us get through our days and week. 

"The way to happiness: keep you heart free from hate, your mind from worry. 
Live simple, expect little, give much. 
Fill your life with love. Scatter sunshine. 
Forget see, think of others.
 Do as you would be done by. 
Try this for a week and you will be surprised."
-Norman Vincent Peale,
The Power of Positive Thinking 


We are close to the end of February, and all I can think about is spring, and literally counting the days until that pretty season. So in order for me to prevent myself from feeling gloomy, and moody is looking back at my archives on my blog, and expressing so much gratitude in my handwritten journal for living the life I live. And for also feeling the way I do. 

Here are a few things in my life that make me a happy camper in the midst of winter that brings the hidden sunshine to my heart. 
My kids. 

No matter how much these two pick on each other I am grateful for the challenges they give me. Without those challenges, and being a referee mom I honestly feel motherhood would be boring, and I wouldn't grow from them. We all have our down days as parents, and so do the kids. Luckily there bickering doesn't last very long, and when my 'mean mom' voice comes out they listen, apologize, make-up, hug, laugh, and go on as if nothing happened. And then it'll start all over again. 

My home. 

Every place we have moved and lived in I've always managed to make that home cozy, quaint, but most of all safe. I have pretty much enjoyed all the places we've lived in even the ones that were my least favorite. The key for me to having a happy home is having very little. Only needing the things that will sustain you to survive. We have always rented and lived simply. Each of my kids has always shared a bedroom until my two oldest moved out. I know now why they are so bonded. They shared a room for ten years! My two youngest now have their own room, but at times feel lonely. They may bicker, and annoy each other, but 98 percent of the time they like to play together. The siblings in the Lego Movies remind me of them. I feel that living simply and being able to spend time in one room together bonds us closer as a family. I honestly don't think I'll ever own a big house and that's okay. I don't think that will make life any easier or happier. I truly am so happy with our 1200 square foot apartment! 

The beach!

Weekly drives to the beach during the winter even when it's 14 degrees helps take away any anxiety I may be feeling. I mean...who doesn't love the beach! I'm sure there are many who prefer mountains to sandy beaches, but without taking a drive no matter what season it is hearing those waves crashing, and seagulls gawking brings me comfort! And if the sun is out, well, that's a bonus! 

Books. 

Growing up I read so many books. I remember bringing home a different book from the school library every week and joining the Texas readers club at the age of nine. I loved books. I loved them so much that at that time in my life they were my best friend. They helped me escape from the woes of the world. From the darkness that was happening in my home. Even today when life is pretty darn good reading brings me comfort. It helps me think, and wonder of how much the author and I have in common. I can almost relate to every biography I've ever read, and the fiction books I read is something that just helps me escape to the unknown when I want to get away from the chaos that life brings. Books are definitley a drug! 

Writing/blogging.

Writing is my medicine. Writing has helped me to overcome all the demons I was harboring over a long period of time. Whether it's a simple snippet of our day to a long post like this one writing truly builds confidence within myself that I never I had before. 

Taking pictures. (Mumtographer)
I love taking pictures and capturing random moments on camera of our kids. I also love taking pictures that catch my eye. Whether it's something fun I want to share like the book I'm currently reading, a bird on a tree, seagulls at the beach, or street art in NYC, capturing those moments are for me to remember and for my kids to pass on and show to their posterity.

God. 
I know that if it wasn't for my belief, and faith in the Lord that my life wouldn't be where it's at today. I know that if it wasn't for Him that I would be at a different point in my life, and I never want to wonder which one. I thank God every day for the life I'm living, and for the things that He grants me on the daily. Because of Him He has given me a life filled with blessings that I never thought would never come.  

Serving others. 
One thing that helps me forget about my own issues is helping others. Whether it's writing a letter, sending a text, offering someone a ride, smiling and striking up a conversation with a stranger, or complimenting someone's hair or makeup at a store can really make a difference not only in their life but mine as well. Commenting, or liking someone's post on social media can also brighten their day. Doing those random acts of service without obligation, or even thinking it really helps me love myself even more, and the entire world! 

So when life seems dark and dreary especially in the winter months and you feel like your in a boxing ring fighting against negativity, just think of these things, and I guarantee they will help you smile! Even when you're kids are fighting! 

Have a wondeful weekend folks! 










1 comment: