REPLY

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spontaneity on a Day Off



I always look forward to Jon's day off. He puts in about 45 hours a week, sometimes more. His days off vary on a weekly basis. Today was the day. We don't have a "routine" or a strict schedule we live by. We don't always plan, sometimes we just do.

There are always things to be accomplished at our house such as laundry, putting up that picture that has been leaning against the wall behind the crib for over a week now, returning texts a day late because my phone was on vibrate, looking in our pantry to see if we are lacking any major ingredients on what we are having for dinner tonight. Sure we did all those things... and I also:

 1. Addressed valentine's day cards.

 2. Mailed a sympathy card to a close friend whose aunt passed away yesterday.

 3. Went to Target and bought Chelsea a booster seat (she got too tall for her old one) & a popcorn combo.

 4. Bought Chelsea her own bed (she's been sharing a bed with her sister since we moved here two and a half years ago.)

 5. Bought new sheets for Chelsea's new bed.

 6. Went to a friend's house to give her youngest some slightly used clothing previously worn by Chelsea.

 7. Reimbursed a friend who just recently traveled to England where she bought me some lovely stuff from Cath Kidston.

 8. Helped Chelsea with her homework.

 9. Supervised Chelsea while practicing piano.

10. Fed Noah oatmeal for lunch (he can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!)

11. Took Sierra to her drama rehearsal.

12. Had a dear friend (whom I hadn't seen since Halloween) over for a surprise visit while Jon was playing with this.

13. Make a last minute trip to Marshall's to pick up another pillow for Chelsea before 9:30 p.m. (she likes sleeping with two pillows.)

Unfortunately... I didn't get back in time for me to personally say goodnight to my kids and have our family prayer (which is very rare.) So I peeked in, gave them all a kiss, and saw Noah cuddled in Lexie's bed (I heart his rosy cheeks!)


Sierra got a ride home from rehearsal and was exhausted. I noticed Sierra wearing her pink hoodie to bed (at least she had her pajama bottoms on and not her jeans.)

I saw sweet Chelsea on her new bed with her new sheets comfortably sleeping (does she really need a second pillow?)

As crazy as this day sounds, and although some things weren't planned...I enjoyed every minute of today.

One of my life's motto is: if you have a daily schedule and are organized,  you can add some spontaneity in your daily life, and serve others.


On Jon's days off, when things are rarely ever planned that's exactly what we try to do.

*Are you a planner, or spontaneous?
*What do y'all usually do on your day off?
*Have you addressed your Valentine's day cards?

1 comment:

  1. did Jon tell you he scared me? thanks for sending him over, i appreciate it! start saving your pence and pounds again, i'm sure i'll be going back soon. luv ya!

    ReplyDelete