REPLY

Sunday, February 13, 2011

On Fellowshipping

I remember reading the phrase, "One of humankind's most redeeming characteristics is the capacity for compassion." It was written in our church news magazine.  I love this phrase because it truly awakens my mind and soul. It tells me that I am capable of passing on that love and comfort to everyone I meet. I'm originally from South Texas, therefore I was taught to have that southern hospitality.

For those of you who have known me for the past ten years, I am outgoing, loving, kind, thoughtful, fun, and full of life. I will tell you that it's genuine. I have to work at it though, and I strive hard to live like that each day.

When I first joined the LDS church 18 years ago, I was excited, yet scared at the same time. I was entering unfamiliar territory and meeting new friends. One thing I have learned about the church I attend is the importance of fellow shipping. Making friends with everyone. Not the ones with whom you have in common with (although that is a plus), not the ones who are the same age as you and your kids (another plus), not the ones who dress nice like you, not the ones who are the same nationality as you, not the ones who are in the same school, neighborhood, etc. like you...EVERYONE.

I have never been the one to ever be part of a specific group. Whether in my neighborhood, or when I used to work and go to school. I have been to numerous churches before I joined this one and unfortunately no matter what church we attend, on the east or west coast, we are going to see those kinds of results. I attend church every Sunday with my family. I try to shake hands, smile, hug, say hello to as many members as I can before service begins. I try to acknowledge those who are visiting our church, those who are not active, and those who are in different auxiliaries. Whenever we have church functions, I do the same thing. I feel like I am always the first one to say hi and show kindness...yet I never grow weary in doing so.

Last night was a different story. It was the complete opposite, and let me tell you it made my weekend!!!

I was at a church fundraiser last night and as usual I walk in and take a look around to see who is there. I glance over to a sister that I visit teach and who is fairly new to our church. I sat with her and her family and made conversation with her. All evening I found myself getting up and walking around and saying hello to as many members as I can. Dinner was being served so I proceeded to go back to my seat. Then, all of a sudden, I felt warmth on my shoulder. It was the warm hand of a sister who said hello and asked how I was doing. It almost brought tears to my eyes. 95% of the time I'm always the one to acknowledge everyone. This is the 5% where I actually didn't do the "fellow shipping".

This morning after service, another sister came over to my pew, gave me a great big hug and told me how much she adores my family. She was talking about my son and how she was admiring his actions from the back row. She was sincere and complimenting and it truly made my entire day.

We should never let an opportunity pass us by in saying hello to someone. We should never say to ourselves, "Oh, I'll wait till later to say hi".  I say, "do it now". You may never have that second chance, and you may never know how you'll make that person feel. Now that I've been on the other side of the fence, I now know how others feel when I lay my hand on some one's shoulder to say hello and the warmth that comes from it,

...and it felt GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment