REPLY

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Harvest time

So I found this really cool recipe inside the fall 'Health Talk' issue of Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center. Normally i just dump them in the recycling bin (they are free), but lately I have been diligently looking through them, and reading them in its entirety. For the past month I have been on this health kick of eating healthy. Maybe it's because I've joined the elite 40's and in 10 years I'll be 50! Who knows! All I know is that I am more conscientious about my weight, and eating healthy in this house. 

This apple cinnamon bar recipe came into my mailbox at the right time!

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup uncooked oats
1/2 cup shortening
4 medium apples, peeled or unpeeled

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, brown sugar and oats in a mixing bowl. Stir.
3. Add the shortening to the bowl. Use two table knives to mix the ingredients and cut them into crumbs.
4. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of the baking dish with a bit of shortening.
5. Spread half of the crumb mixture in the greased baking dish.
6. Remove the core form the apples and slice them. Put the apple slices into the baking dish.
7. Top the apples with the rest of the crumb mixture.
8. Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Cut into squares.

Serving size 1 bar; 24 servings. 
It has 0 cholesterol. 

Warning: It will fall apart easily. 

Note: You can use canned apples or 16 ounces of applesauce in place of fresh apples. 
I personally prefer fresh picked apples!

Perfect for a Family Home Evening treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment