REPLY

Thursday, May 30, 2013

songbird.

She began dancing when she was about one years old. Blame it on being a '90's baby, and the fact that I was born in the '70's hooked on '80's music had me teach her at a very young age to listen to the right kind of music.

Music is her world, and she finds many opportunities to surround herself with it.  

She began dance classes when she was five, playing piano when she was seven, and although she doesn't really dance anymore she still plays the piano, and discovered she had a voice about three years ago. 

We used to call her our hummingbird when she was little, and now she is our songbird. 

I was amazed when I began hearing her sing nonchalantly around the house. You know under her breath, while she's cleaning, or even in the shower. I said to myself, "this girl can yodel sing pretty good, and she's never even had voice lessons." 

I've never given it a thought in having her take voice lessons. I figured since she's been humming since she began playing piano, and singing in the choir since middle school that she doesn't need to take private voice lessons. 

Some of my friends say that even though she has a pretty voice that i should still get her into voice lessons for the mere fact that they wouldn't want her to strain her voice or damage her vocal chords. While that's excellent advice and a lot of truth to that I just couldn't find the time, or even give it a second thought in finding her the right teacher. It's not that easy finding music teachers let alone a voice one. She's graduating soon, and I'm pretty sure she'll have plenty of opportunities at college to learn how to improve in other areas when it comes to voice and music. Not that she needs more lessons in piano, but hey...the more you learn the better you get! 

Sierra, and her piano fingers never take a rest. I can't even imagine playing like her, especially when she played this piece when the choir sang Battle of Jericho. That can be a hard piece for others to play, but she was amazing being the pianist for that song.

Grouped with some amazing talent for the past three years in high school this choir has done amazingly well when it comes to singing ballads without any instruments. If any of y'all have ever watched the movie Stand by Me, you'll be reminded of the movie when you hear them sing this one.

Members of the chorale are now known as "Vocal Resolution", and that is what they will be called from now on. 

Here they are singing their own rendition of "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. I was very impressed and these kids just keep getting better and better with their talent as they continue to prosper. 
Sierra sang exceptionally well. She kind of reminds of the Latina singer Selena with her moves and everything. Having such a beautiful personality with a beautiful voice, who is kind to everyone and has rhythm when she dances! Bittersweet...
When all the girls from chorale get together they really sing loud, and even though I didn't understand what language this song originates from I really enjoyed it. It's called "Voice Dance.
  
The spring concert for Highland high school last night was just awesome, excellent, and it was especially nice to see Sierra & Alexandra side by side singing this song together along with the rest of the choir. 

I'm so glad that Alexandra (along with other middle school choir members) had a small cameo in singing with the Highland choir. 
Sierra's last concert of her high school career ended epically, and I'm very pleased that she came here five years ago in 2009 to join the future class of 2013 because I'll tell you something...this class truly is the cream of the crop, and from my eyes I don't think there will ever be another class like them. (unless it's the class of 2018, 2023, or 2027.) 

Those are the years my other kids graduate! 

Yikes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment