REPLY

Monday, May 6, 2013

a picnic, frisbee, & mr. softee.

The weather this past weekend was unbelievably beautiful, and this whole day was picture perfect. While my two teenage girls were at church prepping for the girls camp kick off, I had a blast spending most of the day with my two youngest.

My energy seems to increase when the weather is good, and as always we wanted to go to a park. Chelsea had the idea of having a picnic, and we were debating on which park to go to. 

We packed up some sandwiches, went to dollar tree to pick up some chips, drinks, and kosher pickles and headed out to a place where it was once a lake. 

When I blogged the other day about cherry blossoms, and mentioned how as we walked around the park & saw signs that read par 3 tee 13, well it is actually for disc Frisbee golf

The history of this park is very interesting, and I can't believe that every single photo on this post was once surrounded by water. 
Hard to believe right? 

*****
I hardly ever had picnics, or played frisbee as a youngster. Seriously I didn't. I only remember small moments in my youth in which my mother would take my sister and I to the park. It would usually be in the evenings when it was nice and cool, and the only thing they had were swings. Those hot Texas summers would really kick her butt, so she would mostly take us out in the evening (plus she worked most days). Back then we could stay in the park until 10 pm. Now most parks have curfews. 

I am so happy that I am doing things that keep me physically active with my kids, and that being a 'stay at home playground mom' is my role at this moment. Focusing on my kids totally helps me forget about the stresses of life, and any burden I may be carrying on my shoulders. And then there's ice cream! Mister Softee totally brightened our day, and it put a huge smile on the kids faces as they were eating their treats!
Unfortunately there are days where I may not be as motivated, but luckily I wake up with a prayer asking the Lord to help me be a good example to Noah and to give me the strength in doing this thing called motherhood. I want my kids to be happy, and when I see them laughing, and smiling I know that I'm doing something right. 

Especially when your kids see you "trying" to do the zipline (it's not for adults) & watching your eight year old grabbing your iPhone to take a quick picture of you while laughing at the same time. You know that you're day is pretty much complete, and that your "aha moment" passed & that is proof that their life as a child is pretty darn good. 
My days...I choose to make the best of everyday. No matter how gloomy the weather may be, no matter if it's that time of the month, no matter if I'm going through a trial, I always want to make the days for my children more meaningful, creative & fun. One that will go out of their way to do what they love. I'm young at heart, and if I have to cross those monkey bars next time with Chelsea so be it. Who cares if I get blisters. That's what a parent does, and that's what I'm trying to be great at. 

It's days like this in which I'm so thankful to God for helping me be the mother that I am today.

And this day was one of those days. 
Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment