REPLY

Saturday, May 18, 2013

to Sierra on your 18th birthday.

This is it. Your 18 years of age, and although your considered an adult, I personally don't think you've reached adulthood until your 21. You still have to let us know where you are at all times, and at all places. That is until your on your own. 

In three and a half weeks you'll be graduating with honors, and attending one of the best performing arts school in Philadelphia majoring in a field that surrounds your entire being with happiness. 

And because you will be living on campus you have my permission to call me everyday. Okay, I know you may not call everyday, but know that you can call anytime day or night! 

I know that you will be safe while living on campus. The choices you make determine your future both temporally & spiritually and I always pray that they will be the right ones. 

Continue to strive to continue to live high standards. Something that you were taught since you were a toddler. I trust that you will be mindful of your time, and that you will continue to attend church every week so that you can be strengthened and nourished with Christ's love. 

Always remember that special place that will take you away from the stresses of the world, and to make an effort to find the time to attend. Continue to build up that testimony by sharing your beliefs and in being a great example. 

Express yourself with kindness, love, and compassion for those who are less fortunate, but always be aware of any negativity that comes your way. 

Always remember to listen to that still small voice. Especially when it nudges at you, and whispers to you, "it's not right."

Surround yourself with great friends no matter what color they are as long as they uplift your life. 

Study, study, study, but have fun too. The right kind (smile.)

You will be living in a city that is filled with so much art, culture, and history. Take advantage of your free time, and explore your surroundings. 

I can't believe that 18 years of your life has passed through, and I know that it's time to let go of the reigns. Although I feel as if I'm ready to let you go, I know that I'll cry like a baby once we leave your dorm room. Knowing the faith that I carry with a daughter like you reassures me that life goes on, and I  can carry on. 

And with a prayer your father and I will walk away with our heads up high as parents saying to each other, "We did good with this one. Oh yes, pretty darn good."

Happy 18th birthday to you my dear Sierra! May it be the beginning of a year filled with tremendous amount of blessings for a fabulous year! 
XO-Mom & dad (not really, but you know him...he's not much of a writer.) All that will change though once your gone. Maybe.

Keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment