REPLY

Monday, June 20, 2011

Celebrating Father's Day


After we came home from church services yesterday we went to our next door neighbor's house for a little BBQ to honor Father's Day. I cried. As if the talks spoken during sacrament meeting weren't enough to set the alarms off. I didn't, no, let me correct that, I've NEVER had a great father figure in my life. The closest people I've ever had to having a great father would be my father-in-law, my husband, and of course...my Father in Heaven.

My father abandoned my mother, me and my sister when I was about five years old. My step-father came into my family when I was eight, and the molestation began when I was ten. It lasted until I was about 14. I don't want to ruin this post with a sob story that I've healed from, and maybe I'll write about my molestation on a later date. For now... these fathers had way too much fun, and I'm not about to spoil it boohooing about my past.

I was so impressed with this family. They are not mormon, and that's okay. They have been my neighbor's for three years, and it seems like we moved in yesterday. I LOVE this family. They had a total of at least 30 family members come to celebrate!! I was thinking of my family back in Utah, and all the get together's we had with my husband's family.

I. miss. that.

I loved that the hugs, and kisses on the cheek when I met the rest of this family were reciprocal.
I loved watching others play with my kid.

 I love that even though my girls, and Tinika's girls are a few years apart...they get along great, and enjoy each other's company. 



Noah had so much fun playing with this exercise ball. I love Tinika's backyard. Compared to our's...it's a lot bigger!!

I'm so grateful to have wonderful neighbors here in Jersey. One may seem nervous to move and start all over again meeting new people. To be honest...I'm not. As much as we've moved around from state to state in the past six years, it's become second nature for me to immediately step out of my comfort zone, and get to work with meeting others and sharing the one important thing that means the most in my life...the gospel of Jesus Christ. I had that opportunity last night, and it was a great conversation!!

It was the best five and a half hours spent with a great family.

THANKS TINIKA for a fun-filled evening filled with harmonious fathers...and delicious food!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great Father's Day! We had Seth and Saunie's family over. It was a good day. Miss all our kids all over the country, however! I am glad this was a memorable day for your family!

    ReplyDelete