REPLY

Monday, November 27, 2017

WONDER-A Must Read Book & Movie to See!

This past weekend after kicking off the Thanksgiving holiday by going to the Macy's parade, and seeing all the wonderful Christmas decorations down 5th avenue and Rockefeller center we vegged out on Friday by not doing the whole Black Friday thing. Rather than shopping we went out to Jim's bagel loft for a quiet breakfast, and then we back home and watched old movies all day! Even though we didn't cook on Thanksgiving day we were still worn out due to all the walking we did in the city so resting at home watching Netflix, and eating out on Friday was better than fighting the crowds over great deals on Black Friday.

Saturday was a really good day. 

We sporadically went to the theater to see what they were showing, and when we saw the poster of "Wonder" we immediately got tickets for the matinee, grabbed our popcorn kids meal, walked really, really fast to get good seats, and cried like a cranky baby watching it. 

When I first saw the book at the bookstore years ago I was like, "what's up with the cover, and why is it called Wonder?" Well, after reading the reviews, and the first three chapters I knew I had to buy it. I could not put the book down! My kids may not have facial deformities, but when Chelsea was in her last year of elementary school she was bullied. I wrote my heart out on this post, and luckily the problem for her was resolved. 

I absolutely fell in love with Auggie throughout the movie. It is such a beautiful movie. I didn't even want to scoff at it especially since I read the book. I have to admit while reading the book I wondered how Auggies' face looked like, and in the movie when he took off his astronaut helmet I was relieved!I thought his face would look super horrible, but he was beautiful in my eyes. After watching Wonder I couldn't' help but to think of all those who are special needs child, and have facial deformities. I have friends with children who have these issues, and they are the strongest women I know! I love the characters in the movie. It is a beatiful story of love, acceptance, and being kind which a lot of us need to have in our life these days. Especially when it comes to teaching our children. After watching this movie I asked Noah how he would treat someone that looked like Auggie or had mental issues. He said he would be nice to them, and be their friend, and that if someone was being mean to him that he would tell a teacher, and not be like the character Julian.

I love this book, and the movie so much that I can't wait for the dvd to come out. This is one movie to take the kids from every school to see, and a book to read over and over again to remind us that no matter what- human life is fragile, and that kindness comes from within. Especially those who look "different." I learned so much by reading the book, and my heart just got bigger after watching the movie. I encourage everyone to take their kids to watch it, and to bring a lot of tissues. My 12, and 17 year old balled like babies when they saw it! Chelsea read the book, but Lexie hasn't. She said she doesn't want to read a book that'll make her cry, yet she saw the movie and she cried anyway! 

Noah attempted to read it, but it's still a bit mature for him. I told him that we will hang on to this book forever, and that he can read it next year. His comprehension has gotten better, but I think he will understand this book better when he's nine or ten! He loves books, and going to bookstores to find treasures. Aside for his love for legos, and transformers, I'm so happy that has developed a love for books1 

Wonder is the best kids book out there, and great movie of a lifetime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment