REPLY

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Be Free, And Alive Without The Smartphones & Chrome Books!

After reading this article recently I couldn't help but to pause, ponder, and write. I've written a couple of posts about technology, but this one hit the core of my heart, and wanted to share more of my thoughts on how this "hands free mama" is right on point when it comes to social media, and smartphones. 

Not everyone in my family has a smartphone, and if they do I count my blessings for them not being on it for too long, or not at all. We have always had one computer in the house for all of us to share, and the girls have had smartphones pretty much since they were 16. Except for my youngest who is 13, and in all honesty doesn't care to own one because of all the drama, and junk that she sees on it from her friends phones. 

However, she does have a chrome book that the school provides for her to take home to do homework. She does have access to go online, but when she first brought it home Jon and I reminded her about the pros, and cons of having your own chrome book, and the disadvantages it may have if you stay on it for too long. 

Rachel hit home when I read her post, and I'm on her team when it comes to her thoughts, and parental knowledge when it comes to our children being exposed to the online world, and owning your own smartphone. 
I've had similar talks about phones with my two oldest daughters, and I'm so grateful that they have seen the damage it may cause mentally if they are on it for too long. 

We start comparing ourselves to others, thinking we are not good enough, or not doing enough with ourselves. That we are not pretty enough, or smart enough. That we don't have enough friends, or too many friends. That we don't get enough followers, comments, or likes. That we don't fit in like our popular friends. That we don't have all the cool gadgets, the trendy clothes that everyone has or is wearing. That I don't look like that girl, or this celebrity, or this famous you tuber. These thoughts can become extremely damaging to a young kids mind which can indeed cause suicidal tendencies.

My daughters have been pretty careful in the things they post online, and it makes my heart happy knowing that they truly are too busy to even get on. 

My oldest lives in Utah, and sure she will tweet from time to time, but it's not for hours in a day. She's 22, has been there done that, and has learned from any mistakes she's made in the past when it comes to posting online. She is just way too busy with work, and being involved with her extracurricular activities in college to be on her phone for hours and hours.

All my girls are five years apart which means they are all from a different generation, and my 18 year old will only post something on her Instagram that has a purpose, or meaning behind the photo. She has also had talks with Chelsea as to why it's probably a good thing she doesn't own a smartphone, and when the time comes for her to own one to remember all the unnecessary posts she's seen on social media, and to remember that family comes first, and that she doesn't have to be on every social network, or post all the time. We have also talked to her about limiting herself on her chrome book which she is really good at, and pretty much only uses it for homework, and listening to music. 
We are super old school in our house, and my eight year old doesn't own any kind of smartphone, or game system. He finds joy in drawing, and collecting all the cardboard to make his own superhero costumes, and read books! 
My heart is content when I see our kids who are five years apart getting along, and having fun whether it's playing outside, reading a book, or playing board games inside. I love seeing my kids interacting with each other, and feeling free, and alive without constantly being on their phone. 
You'd think my 18 year old would constantly be on it, but she isn't! I love how she is focused on her school, and music, and interacts with her siblings. How she makes time to call, (not text) her sister in Utah. I love how she sits down, and makes time to draw with her brother. I love how she comes home from school, and tells me all about her day without having me ask her. 

Chelsea is following her example, and does the same thing. She spends time with us, and even though her and Noah bicker they do have fun playing. She talks my ear off about every single day about the day she has had, and I don't mind! I'd rather have my girls vent to me, than to anyone online! 

One thing I am grateful for is that the chrome books are loaned to all the kids in her school, and will be returned when school ends. I will not be buying Chelsea or Noah a smartphone, or a chrome book anytime soon, but when we do they will be prepared to know all the pros, and cons that come with it, and hopefully use it for good. 

And just like Rachel said to her daughter in a letter she wrote to her, "tether yourself to real love, and real people"

This is my hope for every teenager out there including mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment