REPLY

Thursday, October 3, 2013

no fear.

When brother Laney asked to see me after church a couple of weeks ago I literally had no clue as to why. I already have a calling and for the past three months have wondered why the only calling I have is taking inventory of the ward activity closet. Well, Heavenly Father sure put me in my place because guess what other calling brother Laney asked me to accept? 

Gospel Doctrine teacher. 

Me...a gospel doctrine teacher. I've never been a gospel doctrine teacher ever! You can imagine my surprise. I gasped. I hesitated with a bunch of ughhhs, and ummms, and when brother Laney asked if I'd accept it of course I said yes. I wanted Jon to be present so I asked him if I could go grab him real quick. I wanted to see Jon's reaction and he wasn't surprised that I'd been given such a calling. He's way too kind. I think he was trying to make me feel better by uplifting me with compliments, and boosting up my confidence with this calling. 

My patriarchal blessing says "to never hesitate to take a calling" and even though there was a tad bit of hesitation with a lot of ughhh's and ummm's I accepted it knowing that with faith, God will guide me through this. I know I'm going to learn a lot.

But still... Even though I've been in the church for 21 years I'm no scriptorian (is that even a word?). I wasn't even a devout catholic before I became LDS, and even after I joined the church I wasn't big on reading the scriptures on a daily basis like I should. There are even days right now where I don't even read a full chapter on my own. I read best with my entire family.  

I have to admit that I'm a bit petrified knowing that I'm going to be standing in front of returned missionaries, institute teachers, and members who were raised LDS to teach them. Hopefully they will comment, and help me out when I feel like I've hit a plateau with the doctrine. I know that we will learn together, and that I will spiritually grow from this calling. 

My dear friend Ceyda was visiting me at the time I was given this calling, and her words about being the new gospel doctrine teacher were very comforting. Here is this young mother whom I've known for eight years who is not even a member yet telling me that if Heavenly Father didn't trust me with this calling He wouldn't have inspired the Bishopric to ask me. She's right, and after having a bold family home evening lesson on "Fear" given by Lexie I couldn't agree more, and I was feeling more confident.  That was just what I needed Lexie, and thanks for being inspired to teach such a lesson!!

There are a lot of things that we as members of the church are afraid of doing. Such as bearing testimony, opening your mouth in sharing the gospel especially when you feel you have little knowledge of it. Giving a talk at church, or teaching a lesson. Some of us may even be afraid to fellowship, or say hi to a newcomer. It's easier to just be a wallflower at church and keep to ourselves, but that's not me...I can't spiritually grow that way. 

One thing I have learned throughout the years of being a member is to just get yourself out there to serve, be strong, and to not be afraid...but most importantly to have faith. Having the LDS missionaries over for dinner last Sunday was the icing on the cake as they shared a lesson on faith, and reminded me of the things I learned. I know that if we have faith we have no need to fear. 

I'm pretty fearless when it comes to making visitors feel welcomed, bearing testimony, even giving talks at church, but teaching gospel doctrine...c'mon. You really need to be prepared, study the scriptures, humble yourself, and know how to keep the class interesting. 

Well, this is my calling for now, and I pray that I will inspire my class, and that they in return will offer their thoughts, comments, and feel of my love through Christ's teachings. 

After all...we are all here to learn and grow spiritually together. 

No fear...just faith.  

2 comments:

  1. I always figure that God will strengthen and help us if we do our best. Then it will be His lesson and not mine....which is always the best way to go. I just told Megan, my daughter, the same thing when she was called last week to serve as gospel doctrine teacher in her student ward out at BYU I. :) I had not personal experience in the gospel doctrine area, but I know that when we teach with the Spirit....all will be well. You'll be great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill for your words of comfort! Teaching by the spirit is always the way to go!! Enjoy Conference!

      Delete