REPLY

Friday, January 10, 2014

the blessings of friendship & an expression of gratitude.

Taking Sierra to the airport the other day was surreal. I haven't shed too many tears...yet. It feels as if she is on "vacation" visiting family. I'm sure it'll hit me later on, but I know she's in good hands. Sometimes I wonder which school Sierra would have chosen had we stayed in Utah instead of moving across the country. I wonder if she would have gone east. Most kids tend to stay closer to home for college (especially if you're a mormon), and some who have never been anywhere else except being stuck in the same place for 18 years may want to venture outside their hometown (again...especially if you're a mormon.) Who knows! I am just so happy that Sierra got to experience life as a mormon living in Philly surrounded by "the world", and that she made the wise choice of opening her eyes deciding on her own that she found her resolve with school. Her ambivalence toward UARTS helped her open her heart in prayer knowing what she really needed to do, and where she really needed to continue her education. Her spirituality is important, and she would never want to divorce that. 

I'm so grateful for all the friends I met through all the moving we've done in the past 10 years. Having a nomadic life was indeed a blessing after all. I got to meet new friends, experience the church in other states, hold different church callings, learn, grow, and seriously get out of my comfort zone to see the differences from living here, there, and oh yeah...over there too! I loved, loved every second of living that part of my life, and it was all for a good reason. And the day has come for all of those friends from long ago to come and lend a helping hand in fellowshipping. How wonderful it is to know that we have friends (& family) from all places.

One of the main things I learned while moving from state to state, and apartment to apartment all over the Salt Lake valley is the fact that the church is true no matter where you go...and so are your 'real' friends. That's the beauty of the Lord, and how He works when it comes to the gospel. 

As soon as i posted this picture mentioning how Sierra was going out west for college my cell phone began blowing up with notifications from friends we knew while living in Utah & North Carolina in regards to Sierra. Letting me know that if she needs anything that they'll be there for her. They even want her over for dinner, and friends of hers since she hasn't seen she was 11 want to get together with her. My heart filled up with so much gratitude, and a little bit of jealousy (the good kind) because Sierra is going to see some of our amazing friends before me! It was so humbling, and sometimes it makes me want to move back to the places where I met these wonderful & gracious people. 

Oh what a fun, bittersweet day it was to have seen her off, and to have read all the wonderful messages I received via text, email, Facebook, and Instagram from awesome, awesome friends. Sierra has your phone numbers so be expecting a text or phone call from her soon.
I also wanted to note the morning of Sierra's departure. Chelsea really wanted to see her off so we called her out from school (what is she going to miss...trigonometry?) I had asked Lexie if she wanted to come too, but knowing the 'focused' girl that she is opted 'no'. Besides...she had a test, and graduation pictures to take that day (who takes 8th grade graduation pics anyway??) What a waste of dough!! They said their goodbyes early that morning before Lex headed off to school, and had so much fun together during the winter break, and that was good enough for them. 

But these two really wanted to come see her off, and since Noah has a love for airplanes wanted to see them take off too.
He still thinks Sierra is on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment