REPLY

Thursday, January 9, 2014

just some words of advice.



"Take risks. Big risks. Smart risks. I’m not talking about drunk driving or running naked in the snow, I’m talking about going out on a limb to achieve your goals. I’m talking about venturing into unknown territory with no safety net, no fallback plan, no cushion, and nobody holding your hand. You’ll never do anything important if you care more about having fun and being comfortable. Period. It won’t happen. There’s time for fun and comfort, but not now. Not when we’re young and have so much to do. I don’t say this because I’m some huge success story; I say it because I’m not. Not yet, anyway. I say it because I’m in the thick of it, too. I say it because my heart breaks every time I meet a person younger than me who has no ambition. So often I speak to someone like this, they tell me what they want to do in life, I tell them, “well, go do it then,” and they come back with the “yeah, but..”
Stop it.
No buts. Nobody cares about your excuses. Move across the country if you have to. Live out of your car if it’s necessary. Work six jobs if that’s what it takes. Eat one meal a day if it comes to that. Do what needs to be done. STOP FOLLOWING THE PATH THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE LAID FOR YOU. Blaze your own trail. Make a sacrifice. Struggle. Sweat. Fail. Suffer. Do it now. Now’s the time. Especially if you aren’t even married and you don’t have kids. Why in the world are you sitting around? What are you waiting for? There’s absolutely nothing stopping you from chasing big things. Nothing."
~Matt Walsh

These are the words from a man who is about ten years younger than me whom I have admired for the past six months. Reading his blog has given me a lot of insight to many issues. Sometimes we can learn a few valuable things from the younger generation, and I have to admit that Matt Walsh is one of them. 


So heed the words of his advice. 
And these are mine...
You are so young, and have so much to look forward to. There are so many things that I missed out on as a youth. Things that you have, that i was unfortunate to learn, & grow up with. A talent with music that you have been blessed with like no other. (Gosh I wish I learned how to play the piano.) Even though you won't be homeless I want you to be independent and learn to do things on your own. Even though you've already lived in familiar territory I want you to act "as if" you've never been out west before. I'm not a well known blogger, but i feel that everything I have written thus far on my little blog are honest, and true. Things that have been repressed in my mind for many years that I was willing to share with the world (or whoever reads this)...but most of all you. 

The past 18 and half years of raising you has been fairly easy. We've had our ups and downs, but please know that those downers we had were moments of motherhood. I treated you in strictness because I love you. It's that simple. I was a mother first, and your friend second. Love. Go out and conquer the world. Make new friends. Find the old ones you left behind years ago. Learn how to ski. Spend a lot of time with grandma and grandpa. Enjoy your youth, and the time spent with your relatives. Life is too short. I don't ever want you to leave with an uneasiness or unhappy feeling like I did with my mom when I first moved across the country. I want you to carry that happiness wherever you go. I want to be able to know that your intentions are true, and that this decision is the best for you. 

Let your burdens be light by living your values, keeping your morals high, and lose yourself with God, and his gospel. When times get tough, and i mean really tough...lose yourself in service. Help your neighbors, & babysit. Sometimes when you're around small children they tend to get your mind off the hard things. Don't ever lose sight of what's important. Keep in touch with your sisters, and little Noah. For they will grow up way too quick, and perhaps be taller than you! 
Love, love, love. Fellowship. Fellowship. Fellowship. Be fearless, and bold in a loving manner. Always be tactful. Be the one who stands out as you walk into church, and school. Hold your head up high with humbleness ready to serve, love, and make more friends. 

I have faith in you. You're going to do great. God Bless you, and good luck in all that you do. Especially with school, and in growing up to be one of the most successful people i know you can be. 

xo, 
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment