REPLY

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

dance like it's 1980.

lovely young women enjoying an evening of dancing like it's 1980.
-photo source Tom Hawkins
This polar vortex that we've been having sure didn't keep us indoors. This past weekend was planned with fun places to go one being New York to see Jon's cousin Kenzie, and beating the clock against New York traffic to get Lexie to arrive safe and sound for her first youth dance at our church. 

Darkness began to fall and it was already after five pm. We had planned it very carefully to leave at a certain time so that we can make it back in time for the dance, but to no avail.  

We didn't leave the city until past 5 & by the time we hit the Polaski skyway it was close to 6! Although we knew we'd be arriving late we tried to make up time without trying to speed. We obviously enjoyed Kenzie's company way too much that time spent with her flew like a leer jet, and we lost track of time. We just had to keep her until the very last minute!

We arrived close to 8:30 so that gave Lexie an hour and a half of 'boogie time" As we drove into the parking lot of the church and pulled into a parking space I could see some of the young women waiting for Lexie. I told Jon to reverse slowly so that I can catch a clearer glimpse of who they were. Not that I worry about who the girls were, but I was glad that Lexie's reaction to entering wasn't nerve wrecking (although I think she was hiding it very well.) I saw the girls welcoming her with open arms & greeting her with hugs. I can see Lexie smiling, and laughing from a distance, and that's when I knew she was going to have the time of her life. 

And I wasn't worried.  

Lexie had a great experience attending her first youth dance. It was an '80's themed dance, and I think the youth committee is doing a great job in planning these activities to accommodate the younger crowd. 

She turned 14 two weeks ago, and was pretty excited about going. I have no clue how one feels to be anxiously awaiting to turn 14 to go to a dance at the church. Sometimes I wish I was able to experience how Lexie and Sierra felt when she began going to youth activities. I know that it's a totally different feeling as opposed to a youth outside of the church turning 14. At 14 I had a boyfriend and doing things that were not "spiritual"...if you know what I mean. 

There is so much fun that goes on within the youth of our church both spiritually and temporally. Mini youth conference is coming up next month, and Lexie is definitely excited for that. Her favorite part about being 14 in the church aside from going to the dances, & seeing her friends from other wards is learning about the gospel at the level she is in. She is anxiously engaged in wanting to know more about The Savior & His restored gospel so that she can serve others, and share it in hopes that her level of spirituality will reach an all time high. I believe that it will.  

I am so grateful for these activities that keep our youth safe, and actively strong in the church. Having clean fun surrounded by happy youth is the way to be. I'm happy that Lexie enjoys learning about the gospel, attending her meetings, and learning from her leaders in her class. She is another daughter of mine who is unique in her own way. One of a kind, and it's so fun to watch her spirituality grow, and to see the love on her face when we talk about the Savior, and the gospel. It is a priceless look that I never want to go astray!

No comments:

Post a Comment