REPLY

Friday, January 31, 2014

the national junior honor society.

"I pledge myself 
to uphold the higher purposes 
of the national junior honor society 
to which I have been selected... 
Striving in every way,
by word and deed
to make its ideals, the ideals of my life."

During the winter of 2013 Lexie was chosen to be a part of the National Junior Honor Society. Sadly she developed the flu that lasted five days which resulted in missing her induction that year. Although she was recognized that evening & given a certificate the day she returned to school I couldn't help but to feel sad that she missed her own induction. Luckily she had the opportunity to be present this year to assist the new inductees for the class of 2015. 

I decided to attend the ceremony last night to extend my support to this years new inductees, and to get a glimpse of what I missed last year. It's surreal to see my eighth grader growing up in becoming a sophisticated young woman, & hard to believe that she'll be in high school in less than seven months! Didn't I just have a kid that just graduated high school? It's bittersweet, & witnessing tonight's ceremony with all the chapter members of the class of 2014 was impressive. 
Hearing some of their speeches tonight were insightful & it's amazing to see how well this generation is becoming. These kids are too smart for their own good & it scares me sometimes! I always tell Lexie that you can succeed in all that you do & no matter how grand your dreams are you are the only one that can make them come true. 
I'm so pleased with her & obviously love to share my enthusiasm about my kids' accomplishments. It's great to see her being academically inclined as to keeping up that 4.0 GPA. 

Her intelligence reminds me of my own...up until the point I messed up in in high school ruining my GPA, but because of my faults I can bring forth the opposite example & teach her that academics are way more important than boys, & hanging out at the mall! 

Fun is great, but that can wait! 

Lexie is a doer, not a thinker & she definitely is a student before an athlete (at least for now.) She definitely shows great leadership quality, is confident, has a beautiful character in how she treats others, serves her fellow man with love & compassion, & exhibits an attitude of gratitude filled with mannerisms of humility, grace, & integrity. 

So glad I hung around for this event & that I was able to hear her play the keyboard while we sang the national anthem. 

Lexie is following in her sister's footsteps, and I'm sure that she'll be in the NHS once she gets into high school. That is something to be said about this mom who had it pretty rough in making "not so smart' choices that didn't meet NJHS material. Nonetheless I made out pretty well, and so far...so are my girls. 
Congratulations to my 'not so little' girl (who's now taller than me) keep up the excellent work! 

You're going to grow up to do something amazing...I just know it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment