REPLY

Friday, November 18, 2011

An Honorable evening


Ms. Petite is the new principle of the school, and quoted this to all the inductees... 

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
 Watch your words, for they become actions.
 Watch your actions, for they become habits.
 Watch your habits, for they become character.
 Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny."

I am so glad she did. It will show these students that they have a chance to develop a beautiful character, and have a wonderful future.

This past Wednesday was the induction for all the juniors and seniors who are in the National Honor Society. Seeing all the students in her class walk up to light the candle of life was very moving and heartfelt. It truly is a commitment for them to hang on to their honors so they can look forward to a successful future. I look back at how far her path to success in school has come from uprooting her from Utah to North Carolina, and again to New Jersey where she began her eighth grade year . She made friends quickly, and was not afraid to put herself out there to let everyone know who she is. I know that her teachers admire her, and everyone that knows her loves her. She certainly has worked so hard to get to where she is at in her academics. 

We are so proud of Sierra!

She is the first generation family member (on my side of the family) to be in the National Honor Society. My better half and I didn't graduate with honors, and we are not ashamed of it (well, just a little bit.) I'm just grateful that we have changed things with our children in encouraging them to do their best, be active in their academics as well as their lives, and always, always communicate with them about their daily life. They say your children will become better than you, and I believe it. 

Since this was my first time ever attending an induction of the NHS these five different colored candles that you see in this picture each have a meaning.

The Gold candle signifies scholarship.
The Red candle stands for service.
The purple candle stands for leadership. 
The green candle signifies character.

Our daughter exhibits all of these qualities and I see it in her friends as well. 

BFF's Della and Britany
Mr. Siebert is the president of the NHS and Sierra's tennis coach. Thanks to him for nominating her and accepting her into the NHS as well as being a fabulous tennis coach!

Their former principle Mr. Palatucci gave a wonderful speech and told the students how the song "Row your boat" has a meaning. In his words he mentioned that each student is the captain of their boat and that they are in charge of working hard at keeping it up, and to focus on their dream. I can see what he meant. Singing that song does put you in a happy mood. He mentioned for each of them to be gentle and kind towards others, and not to take things too seriously. Life is but a dream, and that is what life is all about. 
 Future scholars.
After the ceremony all the juniors and seniors of the NHS all stood on the stage so the proud parents can take pictures. Afterwards, the seniors showed how proud of them they were by surprising them with this..............
 Silly string!!!
MORE Silly String!!!
 Sierra got attacked with it real good! 
 All the parents were laughing, and I felt like I was in high school again. Oh, wait a minute...I was in high school! It was hilarious! I was snapping pictures hoping I'd get hit with some, but I didn't!
Sierra was having the time of her life. Since she began high school, one thing I told her is to make your four years of high school precious ones. Make them precious by choosing friends that meet your standards, and to be precious to those who don't. Be precious with your time in high school, and don't feel rushed to graduate. Enjoy your high school years, because you will never get them back. 

I wish someone gave me that advice in high school, but I'm the one that made bad choices. Choices that caused me to not graduate with my class. I wish I would have applied myself more in my academics, and found happiness among good friends instead of making the same mistakes over and over again. Luckily I found them later in life by attending college, and finding a fabulous husband who helped me create wonderful children. I know I could have stood where my daughter stands today, but I am grateful that I've turned all that around by teaching my kids to be better. It is my turn to raise them the best way I know how, and to nurture and be there for them every step of the way. I know that Sierra will continue to choose the right path, and refrain from anything that can bring her down. 

The candle they all lit up tonight is their guide, it is up to them to let it glow with glorious light, and to have a beautiful life. 
Sierra with Libby
CLASS OF 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment