REPLY

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Building Traditions With The Youth of Your Church!

As I was looking through some old photos when we lived near Cherry Hill I was blindsided by nostalgia with this picture. All I could think about were the kids that are in this photo as well as the sister missionaries that were serving there at the time. I think about how they're doing, and what they're up to these days. I thought about the time I was in the stake young women, and how I would do everything possible to unite our youth in the stake as well as our ward.

I served with a great presidency, and think of them often and how they're doing. These group of kids, in all honesty were the best. No matter what issues they may have been having internally they always managed to make the best of it by striving to live the gospel, and get along with one another. Lexie misses them, and I continue to pray for them daily. I loved how the leaders build their own traditions with the youth especially at Christmas time. It wasn't always perfect, but at the end of the day they all had a wonderful time being together, and happy! I always enjoyed the stories Lexie would tell me about their events, and how their temple trips went. 

The youth temple trips were Lexie's favorite. She and Sierra were practically raised in the Cherry Hill stake  and every time they had their temple trips in D.C. they took their time afterwards by having lunch together, and taking group photos for memory. I loved that! Whether it was youth conference, girls camp, mormon prom, or any activity we always managed to capture special moments, and document them . These kids tried really hard to keep it together, and as I look at this photo I see nothing but joy. 

I didn't grow up with traditions as a kid, and because of that I started my own when I got married, and had a family. I learned a lot when I joined the church and began hanging out with single adults in the church. I loved how we always had bowling night once a week, and I remember going caroling as well. I was a terrible singer, but I did it anyway. Those small, single adult memories were the best, and when I had a family I remembered all those traditions, and the traditions other friends of mine had with their families, and realized that building traditions are important. Whether they are great or small they are fun, and it truly does bond families, and makes them happy! 

Whether it's going tree hunting on the first of December, opening one gift on Christmas Eve, driving to see the Christmas lights, going to a Christmas show or parade, reading and/or acting out the nativity story, inviting a family over for Christmas dinner, or going out caroling, and having hot chocolate afterwards in someones home. Those traditions become super special, and the kids will remember that more than any gift. 

I am so grateful that I have built my own family traditions throughout the years, and as our kids grow, and learn the importance of why we have these traditions, it is my hope that that they will also build traditions when the time comes for them to have their own family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment