REPLY

Friday, December 30, 2011

A Reunion at the D.C. Temple


What better way to spend the day than that with an old friend, and to meet new friends at the Washington D.C. temple. Our family kept yet another tradition this year, and we went to go see the Festival of Lights. An added bonus was meeting up with Sierra's dearest friend Carter whom she met at EFY this past summer. His family drove from North Carolina to meet with us. It was so nice to have finally met this young man, and his family.While we did a session at the temple, Sierra and Carter enjoyed spending time inside the visitors center looking at Mormon Ads, and taking pictures with Noah. 

Attending the temple was something that I really needed. I hadn't attended since fall, and I really needed to be spiritually fed. I wish that time would permit us to go every week or at least once a month like we used to when we lived in Utah, and North Carolina. Unfortunately life gets in our way which causes us to make excuses, and not attend. I actually think our reasons in not attending as much are excusable because we live further from the temple, and it's not as easy to go throughout the school year as it is during the summer, and winter break when we have free babysitters. I am always grateful when we do have the opportunity, and for the spirit that I take with me on the way home. 
My newest friend Susan who is Carter's mother was such a sweetie. Her soft southern accent & friendliness reminded me of why I loved living in North Carolina. It was such a pleasure meeting both her and her husband. We hit it off so well, and we have quite a few things in common. We are both converts to the church, and are both raising wonderful teenagers.
Of course Carter will only be a teen for one more year because he enters the MTC in less than a week. He will be serving a church mission in Colorado Springs for two years! We are all so happy for him, and Sierra is grateful for his friendship, and for the decision he has made in serving the Lord. 

 While my husband and I were exiting the temple tears streamed down my face because it's a place where you never want to leave. It's inevitable, and we have to face the troubles of the world outside this beautiful building. Attending the temple makes us strong, it helps our eyes see the world in a better perspective, and gives us the strength to handle any adversity that comes our way. It is always a blessing to be able to serve in the temple. No matter how busy the Christmas season gets we have always managed to give the Lord equal time in doing His work.

I really needed this. Our family needed this. I believe we always need this.

I hope that every time we leave the temple we will always carry that spirit with us, and become an even better person. I hope that with a new year approaching we can reexamine our lives, and our faults, and improve on our weaknesses. I hope that if we strive to do what's right... that spirit will never leave our side, and that our countenance will always shine.

I hope. I hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment