REPLY

Thursday, December 1, 2011

December with the CHRISTmas spirit

"The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul. To catch the real meaning of the spirit of CHRISTmas... we need only drop the last syllable and it becomes the spirit of CHRIST."
 ~President Thomas S. Monson
Our first Christmas, Circa 1994
How many of you have your spouse's birthday, wedding anniversary, and Christmas all in one month? Actually within two weeks of each other?

We do!

It's always a busy month for us especially with four children, church callings, and just being a sane person during this time of the year...which we usually are. I look back and remember thinking how we are going to balance these three important events in our life as a married couple without breaking our bank account, and how we are going to build traditions, and keep them throughout our life.

One thing we decided to do is go to the temple on our anniversary. It is free, and it is the most spiritual thing you can ever do in your life as a husband and wife. Of course, here on the east we need to drive for just two and a half hours to D.C. or an hour to Manhattan. When we were living in Salt Lake it only took about ten to twenty minutes to go the temple depending on which one you were going to. Oh, how I miss that! Honestly, the drive doesn't' matter because we know that at the end of the day we are blessed for the service we have done for our kindred dead.

When it comes to exchanging gifts Jon and I have never been materialistic. Especially my husband. He always says to me he doesn't need anything...he only needs me. Of course I end up surprising him with something I made or something that he really needs which is usually clothes, or tools (that he'll actually use!) He in return knows how much I love anything that resembles love and family, and he usually chooses the perfect gifts that relate to that. Whether it's a piece of jewelry with an inscription, or even taking me to the temple again (because he knows how much those buildings mean to me.) Even on his birthday, we'll make the time to go.

Going to the Visitors Center at the D.C. temple to see the decorative lights is absolutely beautiful during the holidays! One thing I miss about Salt Lake is going to Temple Square during Christmas to see the lights. So for all you Utahans who are reading this...take advantage and go!! 

It's times like these where it makes me extremely grateful to have the five year age gap in my kids. My oldest is 16, and is not spoiled! Most 16 year olds are, but mine isn't. She is humble and is grateful with anything she receives. As a matter of fact, she said to me and her dad to 'focus on her sibs.' What a gal! I love her so much. I truly am blessed to have a teenager who is truly charitable. I think of the reasons why my kids are so understanding during the holidays as to why we don't need a lot...it is because we have taught them the true meaning of Christmas. I pray that is one tradition that they will pass on to their posterity. 

It's not about the gifts.

It's about remembering our Savior Jesus Christ and all that he did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment