REPLY

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

a librarian in my own home.

Remember when I wrote how I wish i could be a librarian?  Well, I may not be one at an actual library, but I certainly can be one in my own home. 

We have one small shelf of young children's books, and a taller shelf of books of all kinds in Sierra's room which we all have shared. Every room is surrounded by books. Whether on my small dressers or on the piano. Even in the kitchen, and it's not just cookbooks. Alexandra told us the other day that she is running out of books to read. She has read the Harry Potter Series at least three times this year (those are her favorite.) She went through my stash of books recently and chose the DaVinci Code which she read in two days, Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns which she read both within a week! It took me almost a month or so to finish any of those books, and I haven't even read the DaVinci Code. This girl is just like Sierra when she was her age.  Laser focused, and they both read faster than lightning. I honestly think that Sierra plays piano more than reading right now, and that's okay. She practically read all year long in her English throughout her senior year. 

Lexie reads, and plays her violin more than any recreational activity. Sometimes she'd rather read than watch a movie, play games on a mini iPad, or computer. They both would rather read than, eat, and sleep.

Young adult fiction has become popular in our home. I used to read books to "test" them out in making sure they were appropriate for the kids, but I kind of gave up on that. 

Sierra & Lexie are a good judge of character when it comes to books, and I trust them. They will also ask me if I've heard of such and such book, and one time Sierra had 50 Shades of Grey on her book list, and I was like, "umm...I don't think you want to read that book, or the series." 

She asked me why, and all I said to her was that it's nothing like the Twilight series, and that it's more in depth with sensuality. She didn't realize, and after asking others about it, she didn't have the desire to read them. Even though I, too heard how great those books were, (and I'm an adult) I still didn't have any desire to read them.  

We all have our own taste in books, but sometimes there is stuff out there that is just not a "good read", and in my opinion I don't care to read books like that. 

Noah & Chelsea are following in their sisters footsteps and although they love to play games, and watch cartoons they also love books! 

This right here is a candid moment, and it made me happy when I saw him striving to read in Spanish on his own motive! 
This kid will be bilingual.

I am so glad that in spite of everything that goes in life that we can all escape with a good book. That seems to be the remedy for our stresses in the Jorgensen household these days. 

Me...going to the beach last week with just the girls helped me to relax, and reading is always the icing on the cake. When I went with my entire family the week before I thought I was going to read, but instead i played with my kids in the water. I will always find time to read even if it's done in the middle of the night on my bed. 

Summer is coming to an end in a few weeks, and we would like to read a few more books before school resumes. I don't think we'll ever be done with our summer reading around here. More like "all year round" reading! 

Books are definitely a cure for everything, and I never want to take them or our wonderful libraries for granted!


No comments:

Post a Comment