REPLY

Monday, September 30, 2013

a fulfilled moment.

So many thoughts popped into my head as I was listening to the talks from the General Relief Society Presidency this past Saturday. Each and every sister said something so significant that in one sense or another resonated with me. Attending this broadcast is a rejuvenator for me, and most of the time these talks hit close to home. I often see it in the lives of my fellow sisters as well, and I pray that we all benefited from the words of the Presidency this past weekend. 

As a sister in the gospel life shouldn't be hard. It should be pretty easy, but unfortunately we live in this mortal world where life sometimes doesn't make sense. We often wonder why bad things happen to good people...especially those who strive to live worthily. Knowing that we have the gospel of Jesus Christ to uplift us gives us a better understanding as to why we feel this way, and the confidence to know that we can do better. 

On this evening I truly felt the love by my fellow sisters. Sisters from surrounding wards in the south Jersey area all showed up and we had a lovely dinner before the broadcast. Inviting my friend Maryann who is not a member of the church brought such great joy that evening and it was nice to see others fellowship her. It's so nice to come to a gathering where we see old friends, and meet new ones. What a blessing it is to have that in our lives. 

This was Sierra's first time attending a General Relief society broadcast with me, and it was surreal. I can't believe that this little girl of mine is now a grown, beautiful young woman, and is beginning to feel the effects of what the Relief Society can do for us. She realizes the importance of this worldwide sisterhood, and doesn't "freak out" anymore when I tear up during a talk or bear testimony. It is so nice to have my daughter finally understand why Relief Society is so important to have in our lives, and how she in return will have so much to offer to her fellow sisters at her singles ward. 

Attending this broadcast is a fulfilling moment for me as a mother, and I certainly hope that I never forget the words of these great ladies, and our beloved prophet Thomas S. Monson. He inspires me in ways that are profound, and like the Savior he has a deep love for all of us. 

One of my favorite talks was by Linda S. Reeves. She was so heartfelt, and sincere in telling us how important the Savior is in our life. She told us a story about a young woman who had been baptized, and how she gave up her old life, broke her drug addiction, and quit her Sunday job. That doesn't surprise me when one joins the church, and is baptized. Those are the miracles of each individual that decided to change their life in having a new life with the help of the Savior. 

During this talk (and what a great talk it was) I was reminded of my my own conversion, and how at the age of 20 made a choice to leave a life that was filled with unhappiness. I gave my heart to committing a life of Christ, and knowing that I have a place to go every week to renew my covenants is a tremendous blessing. A blessing to know that I can always be forgiven if my heart is in the right place with God. Having to think of the things I may have done that wasn't conducive to the spirit that week humbles me, and each week as I partake of the sacrament with a sometimes "rowdy" three year old I make an effort to have a "still moment" to ponder, partake, and renew. 

Each week for the past 21 years sacrament meeting has gotten much better for me. I think it's the fact that I'm getting "spiritually mature", getting older, or now that I have a daughter who is on the same boat as me being in Relief Society I want my example to reflect on her, and I believe it has. Especially when she mentions how awesome her visiting teachers are! Whatever the reason may be I want to be a better disciple of Christ for me, and for our Savior. 

I am in no way a perfect person, but know that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me, and will never leave my side in helping me to live each day to the fullest in a way that is pleasing to Him, and to my fellow man. 


Your Heavenly Father 
Loves You, each of you...
that love never changes. 
~President Thomas S. Monson
General Relief Society Meeting, Fall 2013

**You can listen to all of the talks here

No comments:

Post a Comment