REPLY

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

the day new york changed.


picture via
So many memories come to my mind on this day, but the first one that pops up is the morning that we were in Ilwaco, Washington visiting Jon's grandparents. The loud sound of the television in the background woke us up. I could hear wailing within the walls of the television set, and as Jon and I walked into the living room all I saw was this vision.

The sight of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center over and over again. I was in shock, and I couldn't believe it. The fact that we toured NYC including the twin towers the year before was surreal, and I was in tears. 

I didn't want to believe it. What happened? Is this for real? Did the pilot lose control? Was it an accident? Those were the scenarios that I wish were the result of the plane crashing into the twin towers. Unfortunately it wasn't. It was then that we got news through the crackling voice of the newscaster that it was indeed a terrorist attack. This was the day in which every New Yorker will never forget. 

And.

That was the day I vowed myself to never take anything or anyone for granted.

12 years have passed since the attacks, and I have to admit that even though I feel as if I stay in touch with my loved ones I can do better. Not to be a pessimist or anything, but we never know when it is our time to go. We never know what our day is going to bring, or be like when we wake up...if we wake up at all.

We never know what will happen as we walk to our car, and leave the driveway to drive on the road with others who may not mind the laws. Or go to the park, the bank or grocery store. Or even send our kids to school.

As we travel we never know how traffic on the roads may be, or if our flight is going to be safe. One thing I know for sure is to be aware, and have faith in all that we do. To always have love, and have compassion in our hearts for our loved ones. To be mindful of every individual who walks our path. To always hug, and kiss our children. To never miss an opportunity to say "I love you", give hugs, blow kisses, and give a smile.

So from this day on in the 12th year of the attacks let us always remember those who lost their lives, and the families of those who will never forget. Let us uplift one another, and bring more brightness into the world we are living in.

God knows we need a lot of that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment