REPLY

Monday, October 14, 2013

a letter to my son in the autumn of '13

This past weekend was filled with nothing but fun with this little boy, and because of his reaction to this glorious fall weather we've been having I'm writing this letter to him so that he can remember my reaction of our weekend.

Noah, 

You are my motivator, my brightness on rainy days. You keep me on my toes, and when I'm feeling blue you help me to "snap out of it" and tell me to "get out of the house" more often. Your personality reminds me of your sister Lexie when she was your age. Headstrong, willful, & being fearless in telling me of the things you'd like to do. You know me on the days that bring me down, and in a polite way with a dose of attitude you remind me that I have you to take care of and nurture. You behave like a six year old yet your only half that age, but not for long. 

This weekend with you was magnificent. Each day spent with you is always magnificent. Even when you don't take naps. You know how much I love fall, and how much I love to take pictures of us when we go out. Venturing outdoors this time of year is breathtaking, and is the most colorful season of all. Fall is my favorite, and I can tell it's going to be your favorite too. 

Papa is such a good sport at capturing photos of us, and it looks like he'll be doing that more often now that he has a job where he has weekends off! 

As you know rainy days will never stop us from venturing out and having a good time, and we sure did a lot of that this past weekend. 
I love it when it rains, and without it fall foliage wouldn't exist. The changing of the leaves in color reminds me of just that...change. It is a reminder to me that we all change with the season, and with rain all things grow...including you (tear). 
It's bittersweet. 

You know...watching you grow up, and all. Seeing you turn into a little grown up... it isn't so bad. It only helps me look forward to the day you turn five when you'll be in kindergarten, and a reader. Piano lessons with a side of dance class or gymnastics. Yes... dance, because you love dancing, and gymnastics because you love doing somersaults. 

It'll help me look forward to the day you turn eight to be baptized, and start boy scouts. When you turn 12, you'll be the biggest heartbreaker ever known to man. Turning 16, driving and dating. Something I'm going to have to get used to is..GIRLS. Turning 18, receiving your eagle scout, graduating with honors, and preparing to serve a church mission. Returning home honorably at the age of 20, college...a relationship. A good job, temple marriage, kids..... 

Overwhelmed yet? 
I am. 

Because in between these accomplishments you'll endure challenges & triumphs. 


Therefore I will be treasuring every single second of this stage in your life. Not only to have fun, but to teach you proper principles so that you can overcome any challenges that come your way. 

But for now...this is the fun I have with you. 

Going on walks, playing with cars, and trains. Picking up rocks, and splashing through puddles. Chasing pigeons, and birds. Spiderman, star wars, cartoons, and playing games on papas iPad. Going to the park, and enjoying our library days while you're still little. Cuddling, holding my hand, and having you sit on my lap every chance i get...especially at church.

These things will all be in slow motion for me, and until the day comes for you to outgrow these "adventurous days with mama phase" I will be taking advantage of them until you do. 
 
Happy fall son.

XO, 

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment