REPLY

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fearless fellowshipping

"In everyone's life at sometime, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."
~Albert Schweitzer

How many of us are guilty of entering a store, walking down the street, or going to a park, and having random people pass us by without even uttering a word as to saying 'hello' to them. I know I am. There are times when I will notice someone, and just look at them and say hello, and times when I am just too busy to notice. It amazes me at how scared or uncomfortable we really are at attempting to do something as simple as uttering one word. If it's so easy for us to do this with our neighbors, and friends of the same faith...why not a stranger?

Lately, I have been striking random conversation with various people in the places I've been going to. Whether it's at Chelsea's bus stop, the Goodwill store (I love thrift), or any public place. It comes pretty easy for me because I fellowship a lot in the church I attend. I love people. I love meeting new friends, and making nonmembers feel welcome. I love smiling at people, even if it's not reciprocal. I look at attending church and going out in public places as the same thing.

Being an example.

I know some us are afraid to confront someone and just say 'hello'. If you think about it it's not that hard. We tend to be in our own comfort zone, and just pass our fellow brothers and sisters down the hall without a smile, without a hello, and sometimes without even looking at them. We are all different, and I thank my Heavenly Father for how He has made me into being the 'fellowshipper' and becoming someones's 'sunshine friend'. It wasn't easy at first to just walk up to someone and say, "hi, I'm Rose." It's easier if you are outgoing. Believe me it took a lot of hello's, shaking of the hands, hugs, and welcomes for me to become the fearless outgoing Rose that I am today. The more you do it, and mean it...the easier it gets.

Our actions speak louder than words.

I realize that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father here on this earth, and that it is up to us to open our mouth, and set an example whether we are at church or in a public place. I can't even begin to tell you how many friends I've made by constantly going to the same post office and store, going to the same cashier, and slowly developing a friendship with them that they end up being a friend of mine on Facebook! My daughters think that is so cool! It is a beautiful thing when you create a friendship based on the example you have set. Whether it was a smile, simple 'hello', or that cashier saying to you, "Your back, it's so nice to see you again" that started a friendship...you know that you did something right that made their day because they accepted you as a friend right from the start.

I am grateful for the talent that I have in being fearless and in letting my light shine. I know that it's impossible to say hello to every single person while your out shopping, especially during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. I encourage you to try to set your own busyness aside for the sake of the holidays in hopes that it'll turn into a 24/7, 365 day thing.  I know that it is possible to smile, and say hello to just one. I know it's impossible to shake hands with every single person in your congregation, but it is possible to smile, and shake hands with just one. I will continue to try to do my very best in fellowshipping others whether it's at church, or in a public setting, and helping others rekindle their spirit.

SMILE, you never know whose day you'll be uplifting, and what future friendships you'll be cultivating...especially during this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment