REPLY

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

survival.

Many of us have heard the old adage "money doesn't buy happiness" which is true in a materialistic setting, but sorry to burst your bubble quote man, but what about "money buys the necessities of life and makes you at ease and less stressed."

That was my motto at least for the past three months.

The past three months were pretty trying for us all. Financially, & emotionally. Only because we had a daughter who was enrolling in college, and the possibility of moving out of state, (which never happened) was nerve wracking. God obviously had other plans for us, and it was too much change in a short period of time. Our spirituality, on the other hand was solid because I chose for it to be.

Throughout this trial I couldn't help but to take a trip down memory lane when Jon and I were poor newlyweds living in a basement apartment in Utah with a new baby.

Those days were some of the hardest to overcome. I really feel as if I've come a long way since then in having faith, hope, and endurance in handling any adversity that comes our way without allowing it to kick me in the butt.

I don't need to tell you that times are not like what they used to be back in 1995 paying 300 a month for a two bedroom apartment, and for years we were in one until the day we moved and stepped foot into our first house in New Jersey five years ago.

Even though we don't own this house I treat it as if I do. Dolling it up with pops of color in the kids rooms (Noah's handy artwork on the walls), and housing it with priceless memories. I am grateful for having a thrifty sense of direction, and although I love to shop, I'd rather go out and "shop on trips" with my family. I believe that spending money on family trips makes me happier, and I know this may sound odd, but having our summer so productive with adventures helped me endure this trial. 

When the kids started school, and when we finally dropped Sierra off at college life seemed a little less hectic. Well...sort of. Life can still be hectic even now with Jon working again, but knowing that he has a job feels as if an anvil has been lifted off my shoulders. Knowing that we are secure in keeping a roof over our head, and having food on the table is satisfying to me. 

I know that Heavenly Father watched over us and provided us with the things we needed. He has blessed us with strength and determination to endure. To endure this life no matter how hard it gets. To let go of pride, and ask loved ones for help. I look at my husband and thank God that he's mine. That he picked me to spend the rest of his eternal life with. I thank God for giving me someone who stands strong in what he believes in and in working hard. 

This man that I've known for a whopping 21 years has never changed. He never grows weary to serve others, or to provide for us. He's so different from my past, and I need not ever compare him to anyone. He's the reason why I'm able to be a stay at home mom.

Trials...I'm grateful for them because my strength grows, and I feel like superwoman sometimes having  developed unique abilities such as "enduring trials!"

After all that was said and done Jon pulls out this quote from last months home teaching lesson from President Brigham Young that said:

"All intelligent beings who are crowned with crowns of glory, immortality, and eternal lives must pass through every ordeal appointed for intelligent beings to pass through, to gain their glory and exaltation. 
Every calamity that can come upon mortal beings will be suffered...to prepare them to enjoy he presence of the Lord.
Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for our salvation."

Wow! That was a huge eye opener for me. I thank The Lord for having my eyes wide opened throughout every trial I've ever endured not knowing what the outcome was going to be. I know there will be more to come, and believe me when I say this...I am ready for them. 

I have to be, and we will survive


No comments:

Post a Comment