REPLY

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Christmas Carol.

One of the greatest things about the holidays are the recitals, winter concerts, and theatrical productions that take place throughout the world. In this case...close to home. A Christmas Carol is truly one of my all time favorite "ghostly" tales, and it amazes me how Dickens tale of A Christmas Carol still captures my heart, and the imagination of my kids. I decided that Noah is old enough where I can read it to him, and even though he may not understand it fully he gets the idea that after all the three spirits appeared to him in various forms that they all had a message behind the visits to Scrooge, and that in the end the message it brings is that of love, and goodwill towards all men! 

I am grateful to have children who are fearless when it comes to acting in a high school or even an elementary production, and this past week weekend Lexie debuted in her first high school production of "A Christmas Carol." She has been active in plays since the first grade, and like her older sister is a natural when it comes to acting. She played two roles...Scrooge's sister, and his niece. It amazes me the talent each of these kids have, and everyone did such a great job. 

^^^ Derek played a young scrooge, and here's Lexie as Scrooge's niece/sister. ^^^
As for Chelsea and Noah seeing it in person...

In the beginning Noah was a bit skittish. I don't think he was too fond of the theater turning into darkness especially when he began to hear chains rattling, and to see the guy in person wearing them as he passed us down the aisle was even scarier for him. He jumped when he saw Marley's ghost. He kept whispering he wanted to go home, and continued to sit quietly, but fell sleep towards the end of the play. 

And Chelsea...she was intrigued by the dismal setting behind the play, and disliked how Scrooge treated others before the huge transition of Scrooge's good intentions. And was happy with his transformation...

"I will live in the past, present, and future!" The spirits of all three shall strive within me. Oh Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!" I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a schoolboy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to everybody! A Happy New Year to all the world! Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!

My favorite part of the play was when Scrooge woke up not realizing what day it was, and when he asked a little boy outside, and when the boy responded, "Why, it's Christmas day!" the look on Scrooge's face was priceless. I know this is all fiction, but it's so fun imagining it being true, and what a wonderful ending it was.

Especially when they all began to sing

We had a very good audience. 

The End. 

No comments:

Post a Comment