REPLY

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

On Unconditional Friendship.

In all my years I never thought that I would ever find the right man let alone someone who would love everything about me even after telling him every single detail about my past! Can I get a "kudos for your man", and a big wow, because I certainly was no angel. There are days when I feel as if we're still living in Utah dating except with kids. He was my best friend for three years before we dated, and truly is my best friend now. When I first moved to Utah I decided to call up all the returned missionaries who spoke at my baptism including the elder that baptized me to let them know I had moved there permanently, and when I phoned Jon he sounded surprised, and enthusiastic! I could tell he was so happy that I was living there, and almost immediately we began to go on friendly dates. I dated quite a few RM's, but Jon was the sore thumb that stood out (and in a very good way.) He treated me with respect, never stood me up, always kept his word on what he had planned for us, and loved me unconditionally. He was such a good listener (still is), and always cared about my feelings. He knew whether I was having a good day, or a bad day. He was always there for me when I needed uplifting, my car fixed, and a shoulder to cry on. He also respected me when it came to being physical. If anything...I was the aggressor when it came to the physical part of our relationship, but that's a whole different story. Overall his image of respect was right on point, and it was very impressive to know that guys like him existed in the world. You know...the opening the door, standing up from the table when you stood kind of guy. And that's how he was...quite a package. 

One of my favorite memories of Jon's love and goodness in serving while living in Utah is the time I went looking for a job and interviewed with American Express. The woman that interviewed me recommended me going to a modeling agency. She asked me why I was applying for a desk job when I should be exposing my beauty to the world. I was like ooookaaaaayyyy! I laughed, and hesitated for a moment, but took the card she gave me of the agency anyway. When I arrived I remember Laurel who was one of their top models at the time telling everyone, "look at this great girl!" I was in shock, and surprised that they even took me in. I was this 5 foot nothing short, skinny, little Mexican girl with a huge head of hair, and they were willing to give me work! I was so excited, but not too excited about the amount it was going to cost to get me started in paying for professional photos. After they gave me a phone number to a photographer I headed out the door, and the first person to tell my news was to Jon. He noticed I was a bit melancholy, and asked if I got the job. I told him that I did get "a job" and when I proceeded to tell him it was for McCarty modeling agency and not American Express he didn't seem surprised. He was impressed. Apparently they have a good reputation (still do), and that made me even more excited to be a part of their agency. Without even asking him for money I let him know what it was going to take to get me started, and when I told him it would cost a few hundred dollars he lent  gave me the cash for the pictures! I didn't even ask him, and certainly didn't really think anything of it except that he truly was a very dear friend to have who was willing to help me out! To give me money for a photo shoot without expecting anything in return was a big "wow" moment for me. There were no regrets from the two of us, and I got a few modeling print jobs done, and the money for those pictures certainly paid off. I then realized that he had major feelings for me, and slowly but surely I began to dump the other four guys I was dating excluding Jon, and in the end it was a pure Jon and Rose life. 

Seeing all the signs of what a good friend he'd become throughout those three years even on his mission was overwhelming to me because I had never experienced such unconditional goodness in friendship throughout my teenage years. And then you add in his spirituality, and strong love he has for the Lord made it feel as if I hit the mother load! 

Here we are almost 20 years later continuing the journey of this crazy life of ours. In friendship we've learned throughout the years to not take anything so seriously especially when it comes to drama, and believe me there has been plenty of that in our life. Together we are strong in making it in this crazy, but beautiful world we live in with for awesome children that we created together. I couldn't have asked for a better husband, and friend. 

It is also my hope that when it's time for all of our children to marry that they will seek, and pray for an eternal companion that'll give them everything that has value in spirituality, integrity, and friendship.

**Picture taken at this pumpkin patch /corn maze this past October. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment