REPLY

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Home is where your books are

As much as I LOVE books, I have to admit...I am not a voracious reader!! There are a stack of books on my dresser right now that I want to read, and some that I am halfway through reading. There are some that I'm reading, and then life happens which interrupts my reading. How is it that my two oldest daughters can read Inheritance within three days!! It would probably take me a month to finish that! I love books...I really do! I just wish I could somehow discipline myself into finishing a book. It all depends on my mood really.

Somehow it seems easier for me to read during the summer than in the winter. It seems that during the school year my life is running around in four different directions with all of the kids being five years apart. I devote my time into making sure all of my kids, especially my tween and teenager are on top of their game with school. I give them my full attention and focus on their needs, and I am more involved with their lives as they grow older.

I'm sure we all have different phases in our life when a specific book is introduced to us, and we are so enthralled in it that we can't put it down. There are three favorite books that I own in which I absolutely love, and they didn't take me too long to finish. I can read these over and over again.

I love skimming through Mommy Mantras to find a certain mantra, or passage that is suitable for the kind of day or week I am having when dealing with crazy family life. It also helps me restore my balance, and helps me look at the life of my kids in a different perspective.  I love that book!
I also have a rule when it comes to books and movies. Any book they make into a movie, I will not watch it until I have finished reading the books.

I am excited for the Hunger Games movie to come out in March, and for Enders Game to be out sometime next year. Yes... there are movies in which I had already seen only because I didn't know they had already made it into a movie. Like the Twilight and Harry Potter series. The books are totally different, but I did see the movies way before reading the books!

I really beat myself up when it comes to reading. I have many friends with multiple children under the age of ten, and somehow they can finish these thick, oversized books really quickly. Maybe they are voracious readers, maybe it's because they have the time to read,  and don't have kids in middle school or high school yet which will require 95% of their attention in the future. Maybe it's the choice they make in disciplining themselves to sit down and just read, read, read.

We are currently reading this book for our book club this month, and we are meeting tomorrow evening to discuss it. I haven't even started! I've seen the movie only because it's a classic. Oh well. I'll eventually read it, but I would rather read Unbroken, and Ellis Island first. Those books are due soon!

2 comments:

  1. we appear to have similar taste in books! I have read or plan to read over half the books in your stack :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books, and have so much more to read this summer! Hope y'all have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete