REPLY

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A dark internet

Imagine a world without free knowledge.
So I tried looking up something on Wikipedia this morning, and all I got was this! A black screen that read:


For over a decade we have spent millions of hours building the largest encyclopedia in human history. Right now, the US Congress is considering legislation that could fatally damage the free and open Internet. for 24 hours, to raise awareness, we are blacking out Wikipedia.

Really? Are y'all serious? 

A friend of mine also mentioned this on her blog, and she is not one bit happy about this. She is a pretty big deal on the internet and I know there are a lot of people that lean to her for support through her words.  Now that I have become more comfortable with the internet it feels weird seeing a black screen. I have to admit that since I've become attached to blogging, and know how convenient, easy, and FREE it is to have the internet...for some it may become the end of the world! Not for me. I would just have to get used to the way things were before we bought our computer, and became majorly exposed to the internet.

If I have to scrapbook more, hand write more letters, spend money on postage, printing photos, and sending them to family, and calling more...then I will. If I have to pull out the nostalgic thick encyclopedia's to look something up from the past then I will. If I have to buy the updated encyclopedia's then I will. It's sad to say this, but it seems as if all those things are becoming a thing of the past. I really don't want it to as I still do that from time to time (I do blog more though!)

I also noticed that more and more people are deleting their Facebook. I personally don't use it as much, and will only share my blog on it, and post pictures of family celebrations. It doesn't help when there are other networks opening up such as mylife.com, Path, and of course I think Twitter will always be around.

Since I've been blogging close to a year now I would definitely want to know who my followers are just in case the internet shut down. I know that there are those that I haven't even met who have let me know through the web that I have inspired them somehow. That would be the only reason why I wouldn't want the internet to be shutdown. It's been nice knowing that there are loyal followers out there, and people constantly visiting my blog. I'd hate to see those who are less fortunate pay to read someone's uplifting words of comfort.

If they did boycott the internet...look out! I know there will be a lot of angry people out there going through major withdrawal.  Let's hope that doesn't happen!

Other than that news, and putting in my own two cents worth of words...I think I can live without the internet. I would have to, but those of you who know me know I will reach out to you somehow, and I will find you!

After all, that's what we were all doing before the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment