REPLY

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Spiritual insulation


Some of the most rewarding times of our lives are those 'extra mile' hours given in service when the body says it wants to relax, but our better self emerges and says, 'Here am I; send me."
~James E. Faust (1920-2007)
Sierra and Lexie with the missionaries-2002, San Antonio, TX
Every Sunday in the church I attend I learn something new every time, and each week I feel renewed ready to tackle anything that comes my way whether it's good or bad. That's the power of the holy spirit. We all leave the Lord's house feeling different, and much happier. One of the most happy moments in my life is when I have the LDS missionaries over for dinner.

Although we lived in Utah off and on for 10 years prior to moving to Texas, we never had them over in our home. You'd think we would have had them over for dinner more since we lived in Utah for so long, but because there are so many members you had to be quick in grabbing the missionary calendar otherwise you won't ever have them over for dinner. Then again we lived in a few wards where we didn't have missionaries.

I remember the first time we ever had LDS missionaries over for dinner was when we lived in Texas. When we moved to San Antonio 8th ward, and was given a missionary calendar of meals during a Relief Society meeting I was excited! I always tried to be the first sister to snag the calendar so I can sign my name on it. I really wanted to have them over our home. I wanted to bring back that feeling of peace when I was being taught the discussions by two wonderful sisters in my home. I wanted to once again have them bring their knowledge, and testimony with them, and have my family be a part of it. My two oldest daughters at that time were two, and seven. They loved the spirit that they carried, and really enjoyed their presence during sacrament meeting (we always sat next to them).

This experience of having them in my home was different compared to when I was single and being taught the gospel. This time I was married and had a family of my own. Every time I have them in my home sure brings back memories of when I was a single adult, and had F.H.E. with the missionaries. My husband will always tell stories of his mission to them as well. I think I have heard his missionary experiences at least a thousand times! I never want to forget those memories because they are a strength that help build spiritual insulation in our home. We try to have them over for dinner once a month now, and when they do come they always leave behind a euphoric feeling.

There is more to having the spirit in our home, and living a Christ like life than having the missionaries over. There is so much that we can do spiritually to insulate our home with the positive things than allowing the worldly negative things to enter in. Listening to clean music, studying our scriptures as a family, involving ourselves deep in thought with prayer, and individual scripture study, writing our heart out in our journal about how we can make a difference in this world, serving our family, friends, neighbors, and fellowshipping those in our congregation. All of these things can be hard to do on a daily basis when we are surrounded with so much adversity, but having faith is one sure way to be able to accomplish these things.

When I look back in my journal, and see pictures of all those missionaries that we've had in our home since 2002 it reminds me to do the Lord's work. We are very lucky to have them in our area. I don't want to ever take them for granted. Missionaries come and go, and new ones come out to serve. I love what they do, and what they stand for. They are doing the Lord's work in bringing others to come unto Christ, and share with them this book that will change their lives. If we constantly read it, and open our mouth to share it, Heavenly Father will bless us, and what will change our lives forever can become something eternal.

What will change our lives forever can become something eternal. 

I give thanks to the Lord each day for the strength, and courage that I had at 20 years of age to call an 800 # on the television screen to request this video. Although it took me six months to convert, I am thankful for the time that I had before officially becoming a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It really gave me a different perspective in life, and helped me become a much stronger person. By attending all three meetings helped me grow spiritually, and helped me gain knowledge of what I was learning along the way.

I've had my ups, and downs (still do), but at 40 years of age with mothering four children, and being a wife to one, makes we want to work even harder, and make each day count as if it were my last. I want to share with the world the one thing that keeps me spiritually uplifted.

Beside my family, I am thankful for the gospel, and for our Savior. 
When we invite Him into our lives...all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment