REPLY

Friday, January 20, 2012

Indeed a classic...Downton Abbey

"No one tells you about raising daughters. You think it'll be like Little Women, and instead they're at each others' throats."
~Cora, Countless of Grantham
Today I have to say that I am grateful for the internet, and for the ability that I have to be able to watch Downton Abbey on our mac. Due to a baptism and giving our full attention to both of our girls birthdays this past Sunday we missed the second episode. I love masterpiece theatre, and there are so many great shows on there. I have to say that this show has got to be my favorite of all time, and will be classified as a 'favorite classic' inside our movie drawer at home. I have a penchant for history, and I love watching anything that was filmed back in the 1800-1900's. If you like movies like "Titanic", "Pride and Prejudice", or anything that deals with war drama...this is your show to watch. 


This show is about a family of five who are waited on hand and foot by all of these servants.
The servants at Downton Abbey
 Although they live in luxury, they are also a humble family...all except this one daughter, Mary, in which she comes off as a bit of a snob. She is slowly beginning to show a little bit of humility. I still love her though! 

Lady Mary
They are all very cordial to all their servants, and I have to say that Anna, and  Mr. Bates are my favorites.  I sure hope that they will end up committing to each other no matter what resistance they face. 
The wonderful Mr. Bates, and lovely Anna
Like every other MP theatre classic...there always lies a mystery. The fact that this family has three daughters (just like me) gets me more enthralled in watching it. They all have totally different personalities, and each have a different view in life, and how to go about on living it. They also have the most fabulous clothes. Sometimes I wish I could live back in that era where life seemed so simple, and everyone showed modesty in the way that they dressed, as well as their mannerisms.
Sisters-Sybil, Mary, & Edith

Having an actress like Elizabeth McGovern play their mother (Cora) is wonderful! I haven't quite followed her acting career since I saw her in She's Having a Baby, and seeing her in Downton Abbey sure brings back fond memories of her in that movie.

The grandmother played by one of my most favorite actresses of all time, Maggie Smith has a spunky, and bold character. I love her dry sense of humor, and that imperious stare that she gives, much like her character in Harry Potter.
I love this show, and wish they had more than seven episodes. I even heard they might convert it into a movie. If you have ever watched MP theatre on PBS...this is the show to watch. I promise you'll get hooked. 

You still have time to watch Season one and the last two episodes of season two HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment