REPLY

Sunday, February 3, 2013

surviving the flu.

The feeling of worry, stress, and calmness were a mixture of my feelings this past week. Alexandra missed a whole week of school due to the flu, and I honestly don't know where she picked it up from. It seems like the flu is out there floating like a rage, and it scares me to death. It has me buying tons of orange juice, and overstocking my shelves with all kinds of remedies. I don't think I've ever washed my hands so much in my life! 

The kids have always been pretty healthy, and hardly have ever experienced any major sickness The very first time I experienced having a sick kid was when Sierra developed pneumonia in her freshman year, and missed a whole week of school. Thank goodness she recovered from that pretty quickly. 


Now poor Alexandra has fallen ill, and is trying so hard to recover. She is feeling a little bit better. Noah attempts to play with her, but I have to remind him not to get too close to her. He still manages to kiss her on the forehead in hopes that she feels better. I think it helps. 


Then there is Chelsea...


I got a phone call from the school nurse on Friday letting me know she had a fever of 101, and that I needed to pick her up from school. **This is one of the blessings of being a stay at home mom. 


She rested all day, her fever went away, she went to bed early, and felt better in the morning. 


There was a Faith in God activity at the church yesterday that she wanted to go to so I let her go. Guess what happened when she came home? 


Her fever came back, and I gave her some motrin for her fever to go down. She had no energy, and rested all day yesterday. Even though she seems a little better today I kept her home from church.


I can tell the girls are not used to missing church, but I don't want them to reinfect themselves or someone else until they are completely well. They know its for their own good, and hope that they will get back to normalcy this week. I'm sure the Lord will forgive for that!


Me...I'm a bit tired and can catch up on some sleep, but that hardly ever happens. Sometimes I wonder how we mothers do it. The whole mom, nurse, teacher, therapist thing. We sure do have a lot of roles that we play when it comes to being a mother. 


But I love it, and I learn so much from it as I continue to grow as a mother. 


Having sick kids brings back so many memories of how my mother tended to me when I would get sick. I remember her worrying, but what I mostly remember is the time she took to make me feel better. No matter how many times I'd throw up on the only teddy bear that I had "Cuddles" she wouldn't get mad. She would wash him by hand and give him back to me only to throw up on him again!. I don't even think she freaked out like I do nowadays when any of my kids have thrown up. I also remember her having lots of energy, and just being strong.


Little by little I am realizing that no matter how healthy we think our kids are they get sick. My solution to surviving the flu, or any kind of illness is to get through it with priesthood blessings, lots of rest, medicine, tons of fluids, and a lot of TLC.


...and then this too shall pass

No comments:

Post a Comment