REPLY

Monday, February 25, 2013

my very short college life.

circa, 1996
Here we are at the beginning of another week, and after the weekend I've had writing about the "happenings" in my life gives me so much relief. 

Right now I am going through many emotions. Emotions that pertain to our firstborn in having her choose the right college for her. 

For those of you who have already sent a kid(s) to college you know what I mean. If your child only applied to one, and got accepted God Bless you! If you have a child who applied to more than one God Bless you even more because they only have two to choose from, but if your child applied to more than three...Good luck!

That's my issue at this point. Even though Sierra knows exactly what she wants to do with her life she still applied to numerous universities. So far she has been accepted to three, and is really pleased. I personally have no idea what she is going through because I only went to ONE college. My educational status could have been a lot better, but i chose to go a different route. 

My kids know that I didn't graduate with my high school class, and after letting them know the whys, I told them that I want them to do better than me, and my golly they are! 

My short college life consisted of attending CBM technical school in which they are no longer around so don't even bother googling it. That is where I learned the "old school" Lotus 123, Dos, and Wordperfect 5.0. It was a year of learning all about computers for me, and thankfully I passed with A's and left with a certificate of completion in Computer office technology. 

I then enrolled in Del Mar College, and majored in Public Relations which I loved so much. Majoring in that field taught me to be fearless in public speaking, and gave me the motivation in continuing my education once I moved out west to Utah.

Not...I got married instead (that story to come later.)

I had two wonderful roommates named Maria & Marivel whom I hardly saw because they were always busy with school, and played with the infamous Mariachi Cascabel. I remember moments spent with them that were priceless, and memorable, and living with them also prepared me in how it would be to live with future roommates.  

Having grown up in Texas my whole life up until the age of 20, I always thought that I would go to the school that everyone was applying to which was Texas A&M, but I didn't. Even though Del Mar wasn't on my list of schools I didn't even try to apply at other colleges such as the University of Texas, SMU, University of Houston, or any other schools outside of my 'comfort zone'. I guess I thought that I wasn't good enough. Darn low self esteem! 

Well, I am extremely grateful that my oldest had the courage to apply to various schools, and not just one. If I could go back and rewind my college life I would have definitely applied to more schools. 

That was then, and this is now, and as much as I would love to change the past that deals with my education I'm grateful for some of the education that I have today. Even though I don't have a "BA, MBA, or PHD" I still managed to learn from those two short years at Del Mar college, and grew from the different occupations I've had in my life.

One thing for sure that 'saved' me, and helped build up my confidence in knowing that I can better myself in accomplishing anything in this world was by converting to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
circa, 1996 (a picture for my posterity at the age of 23) 
By being a member of this church, and learning from its teachings, it has taught me to better my life in doing more good towards all humanity. Mostly towards my own life, and my fellow man. It has taught me true principles that I can pass down to my posterity. It has taught me the value of friendship in sisterhood, and how we should always strive to be a good citizen throughout this mortal life. 

Most of all it has taught me to teach my children to strive their best to live happily, and to be focused on the important things in life such as getting an education, and to treat others as they would want to be treated. Basically to be a good example, and strive to live righteously. 

These are some of the things that I didn't have as a youth, and because I made the choice to change my life at the age of 20, my kids have the chance to have it better. They may not always make the choices we want them to, but through constant guidance and encouragement without lecturing...their choices will be just.

My very short college life was filled with energy and I actually had a really good experience. It strengthened me in relationships, got me out of my comfort zone, I made a lot of friends from all walks of life,  and it also tested me in ways that I never thought it would. Luckily I had the foundation of Christ in my life to guide me through any trial whether good or bad.

This advice I will pass on to my future posterity. No matter which college Sierra decides to attend, I'll know it's because she prayed about it, and saw all the possibilities, pros and cons that it entails. I'll know that it'll be the right decision for her, just as mine was. 

Remembering my college days are bittersweet. I think I did my best in being good enough at that point in my life, and I have no regrets in the choices I made thus far.

Maybe someday the time will come for me to complete my college education. 

Not yet. 

Not yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment