REPLY

Friday, February 22, 2013

for the love of music-senior edition

When my daughter decided in her junior year of high school to change her decision from studying criminal law to music education I have to admit I was a little bit relieved. Not because she would be dealing with criminals, but because her talent in music is beyond amazing. I mean, who doesn't want their kid to become some hot shot lawyer. We do need good and honest ones in the future, but she no longer saw herself as such. She sees herself as an educator in hopes that she will teach others to be passionate in their music. 

I see the love, and dedication she has whenever she sings or plays. She comes home right after school, and instead of eating she'll immediately go to the piano. There are days I can tell when she has had it rough, or when some sort of drama has occured because she'll play her heart out. I have seen proof how losing yourself through music can help one deal with the stresses of life. Writing my heart out in a journal is my way of dealing with any kind of stress, and playing the piano works for her. 

I also have my moments as a mother to let her know that she needs to sleep, and eat. She is a 'full-time' senior with a lot of extracurricular activities, and needs her rest. What do I know. I didn't go through anything that she is going through right now because I didn't have a lot on my plate in my days of high school. She seems to handle, and somewhat balance her schedule, but I still can't help to remind her in a stern voice that she needs a break too. 

And then I hear her lovely voice which is a natural gift because she has never taken any voice lessons, and I myself forget about food. Noah and I will then sit on the couch to hear her. 

Yesterday as I was in my room cleaning up I began hearing her play a tune that was all too familiar. I love Les Miserables, and the song she was singing was so beautiful. I immediately sneaked up behind her and did some vine activity. She knew I was recording her, and that's when I asked if I could record her singing. I knew she'd say yes because she always does.

Hearing her sing this song for the first time brought me to tears. I was in awe, and couldn't believe her voice. Mind you she is a little under the weather right now, but she still obliged to record her singing.    

And she sounded amazing! 
Oh yes...I think taking 10 years of lessons has been worth it, and no matter the struggles we have faced financially with three daughters taking violin and piano lessons we know that in the end it'll all be worth it. All of our girls seem so focused when it comes to music. 

Some may wonder why music education?

Well, there aren't enough music educators in the world, and we need them. Whether our children want to become doctors, lawyers, or a teacher-it doesn't matter. What matters is for them to do something with their life that they will love, and wake up each day looking forward to their 'happy' job.

Not everyone has that chance. I didn't, but I know that music is Sierra's happy place. It never gets old hearing her play, and she never tires out of playing piano. She has too much love for it! 

I am especially grateful that Sierra has this guide in her life that has helped her come to terms with her decision to major in music education, and that also helps her throughout the days of her life. 

Not all kids know what they want out of life, or what they want to become in four years. One thing I know for sure is that this girl will jump at every opportunity when it comes to singing or playing. 

And I believe that she will have many opportunities in her future. 

I didn't grow up with any kind of music in the home, and never thought that I would have musical children today. I am so very grateful to have bought this big piece of wood 10 years ago so that our children can learn, and love music. Music truly is a gift when one has that in their life, and it soothes the soul in many ways.

That to me is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment