REPLY

Monday, February 18, 2013

a day at the U of arts.

What do yo do in the city of brotherly love while your daughter is auditioning at the University of the Arts. a) Sit around & do nothing, b) read the last six chapters of Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar Children, or c) walk around campus alongside other parents discovering more about what this school has to offer our kids.  

I'll choose the latter, and I did just that. 

This past weekend I had a lovely time meeting & getting acquainted with numerous parents. Particularly these two wonderful ladies. 
They both have children who auditioned wih Sierra this past Saturday, and like myself they both seemed to be calm and collected. I know we should all be nervous mothers, but I really didn't feel that way. I think it's because of the fact that I know Sierra has great potential to be a great musician, and teacher. 

I'll tell you though sitting & waiting for our children to finish auditions can be a good sign, and lead into a conversation of talking about my religion & end with "if our girls make it in maybe they can all be roommates."

These ladies kept me sane, and I really enjoyed getting to know them. 

As the months go by it's hard to believe that my firstborn will possibly be attending this university in less than six months! I'm not sure which one she will choose as she continues to go to other auditions at different schools in hopes that one will pick her. 

The University of the Arts is at the top of her list, and being there for five hours on Saturday was a good sign. I kind of felt like one of those parents you see in movies where their kids are trying out for dance, acting, and music. Okay...it reminded me of Fame, or Center Stage!
Funny how I really wasn't nervous for her. I guess I have too much confidence in her. When I received the text that she was done I felt a little relieved. She met me in the lobby where we originally registered at, and she walked up the steps a little too excited. She mentioned how the judge was really impressed with her audition, and how she tested really well when they played keys on the piano asking her if it was scales, what are intervals, a harmony, and all that piano jargon. She seems to have perfect pitch because they also tested her ear placement. Apparently they really enjoyed interviewing her & playing because her audition was 45 minutes long! 

Does that sound like a good sign? Should I be worried? 

I think the part she mentioned in how she and the judges were all laughing comfortably & talking in the end was a good sign for her!  

This was another day in which I didn't want to end. As much as I love all my children equally, and miss them, and Jon when we are all separated I really enjoyed this one on one time with Sierra. I warned her that I would be taking advantage of spending more alone time with her since she'll soon be gone soon.

We had a lovely time walking down Broad st. looking at the architecture of old buildings, and taking in the feeling of center city. We toured the campus some more, and went to the different halls where she would possibly be performing if she were to go here. 

It's so nice seeing my daughter smiling ear to ear, and showing such interest when it comes to her future with music.  

Her goal is to major in music education to teach others, but we never know. We could be looking at the next Alicia Keys.
another dream thought i suppose! 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog!
    Maybe you wan to follow each other? I would love it! Check my blog and let me know!

    ReplyDelete