REPLY

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

open house at the U of ARTS.

Many of you have asked, (and keep asking) about which school Sierra has decided on. She has narrowed down her choices to two universities. She is deciding on going back out west to attend the University of Utah, or stay closer to home and go to the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Either one is an excellent choice in schools, and I will be happy whether she stays closer to us, or to her grandparents, aunt, & uncles in Utah.

This past Sunday we attended an open house at UArts, and it was six hours long. We knew we were going to miss the first session of general conference but going to the open house was crucial for Sierra, and important for us as parents. Luckily I had some friends who were posting quotes from conference talks that were given on my wall. It was nice to have read them afterwards.

They call the University of the Arts the 'Julliard of Philly'. I was really impressed with the welcoming of some of the students as we were standing in line outside, the President of the University who had a nice british accent, the Dean of Students who had a great sense of humor, as well as the entertainment from talented students that was provided during lunch.

I thought the open house at Fordham University went all out, but breakfast here was scrumptious!
They even had cotton candy, and we managed to snag a few to take home to the kids we left behind.
While we separated for a couple of hours we stayed in the auditorium to hear a panel of parents whose children are currently enrolled at UARTS, and were answering any questions or concerns from parents in the audience. They were also discussing the pros and cons of the school, but were very positive in their answers. There was more positivity because the school is located in Center City which is the nice part of Philly.
One thing I am grateful for is the fact that Jon & I never sheltered our kids. The fact that we moved around a lot helped the girls learn about different environments, and cultures. It has build up their confidence, has taught them to be adventurous, fearless, and to make friends easily.

So Sierra having applied to various schools was a piece of cake for her, and she didn't hesitate to broaden her horizons. She wasn't afraid of applying at other schools in New York because she familiarized herself with those surroundings at a very young age. She loves the city, and I'm not too worried about her being on her own. Children need to grow up, and learn how it is to live on their own. At times it won't be easy to be on her own, and that is when she'll appreciate the life of being on her own! Okay...that was bit redundant. 

She told me the other day that it's going to be weird not asking us permission if she could go over to a friends house, etc. I laughed, and I'm sure it's going to get some getting used to.

It was interesting to hear others testimonials about their child and how one mother was nervous about sending their child to a school in the city. Suburbanites may not be accustomed to life in the fast lane because of  living in the suburbs for, like.....ever! I can understand why they'd be nervous, and I thank my lucky stars that we were never afraid to venture out to the city, and took Sierra to New York City when she was five years old.

If she attends this school it will be extraordinarily broadening for her, and she was quite thrilled to have been here for six hours! She'll already know someone from her high school who will 'possibly' attend (according to his parents he is also waiting on another college.)
All we need now is a final decision...
SOON! 



2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Sounds like a great school! I hav cousins living in Philly, and they love it. My cousin-in-law (is that a real term?) even studied music, though I'm not sure what schools she attended. I bet she's met musicians from UARTS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world. I'm hoping she'll choose UARTS, but in the end its her choice. She seemed to have loved it. Philly is a lovely city with so much history. Your lucky to have family there. I think New York will always be my favorite city though. Anyway...thanks for your comment, and I hope you have a great day!

      Delete