REPLY

Thursday, April 25, 2013

sierra's choice.

Life lately with Sierra has been pretty busy. She was recently the pianist for the choir in the All South Jersey Jazz band which took up a lot of rehearsal time, and endless carpooling with a dear friend, and they all played exceptionally well. 

The high school jazz band has been having rehearsals after school preparing for the state championship competition which will be held this Saturday. So far they have won twice for best rhythm section, and best piano soloist. I hope they will bring home some more recognition. She sure is a busy girl, and now that she has a job as a receptionist she'll be even busier. One thing I am so relieved in is the fact that she finally made a decision on the college of her choice.

After months of endless fasting, praying, venting, and crying, she finally made a decision about which university she wants to attend. So without further ado I am pleased to announce that she will be attending the University of the Arts in Philly. I can't even begin to tell you how stressful the past four months have been for all of us. I honestly don't think anyone can understand her feelings of what she went through emotionally trying to decide which direction to take to further her education. 

Not even me. 

Especially since I've never, ever been in her shoes. Why? Because I only applied to ONE college. I didn't have the talent that she possesses. I also didn't have a lot of support in my personal life, or any spiritual foundation to guide me through this important chapter in her life. I also didn't apply myself as much as she did while I was in high school. 

Fortunately she did, and no matter how much we both wanted to hurt people in nice way (well, you know what I mean) whenever they would constantly say or ask, "go here, go there, BYU has the same standards as you, why do you want to go to Rowan (that was me, and I'm sure she probably wanted to slap me silly as well), the University of Utah is no different than BYU, you're not going to BYU?, what?, have you decided on a college yet?" Oh, the endless questions.

I guess those are the cons of applying more to one college, and we sure weren't prepared for all those questions. Especially when you're a Mormon

See, as a member of the LDS church we tend to lean towards Brigham Young University, and sometimes it's expected of us to send our children to attend there. Thankfully Sierra is one of those girls who values her standards in keeping them true no matter what without having to go to a Mormon college. To be honest, even if she went to any college in the Salt Lake Valley everyone is going to have their struggles, drama, and issues. Mormon or not. It's in every state, and we can't escape that. None of us are perfect, and I'm very proud of the way she has handled these matters in response to all the chatter that we received. 

I did however appreciate every one's thoughts and concerns, suggestions, and advice in regards to my daughter, and we love y'all for it, but in the end it was Sierra that was going to have the final answer as to which university to choose. 

As a mother you want what's best for your child, and I have always trusted Sierra to make the right choices. Since we moved here to New Jersey, she has grown so much spiritually, and I know that her faith has been tested many times. She is an amazing person to others, and has proven herself all too well this past year that she can truly handle any adversity that comes her way...by herself.

See, something I have learned as a parent in sending your firstborn to college is that when you keep your mouth shut, and let your child govern themselves they will realize on their own through the pondering and praying that they should be doing as individuals that their answer will be clear as to which direction they need to go when it comes to college.

Sure, they see that you care because of the advice, and lecturing that you're giving them, but I realized that I also needed to give her space, and time. Time to think about her life, her ambitions, but most of all  her feelings. It's all about what she wants, not about what we as parents want for her. 

Another thing I learned throughout this whole situation is that you don't want to smother them with too much lecturing, because they might end up making decisions that will not be satisfying to our needs, but when you smother them with support in their decision they will appreciate that, and that is the best thing that a parent can do.

Can you imagine being in her shoes with everything she has accomplished throughout her senior year that she's involved in? Not only in school, but at home, and in the church? I sure couldn't! I can tell that being the oldest, and the first one to apply for college isn't easy. I just pray it'll be easier with the next child, and the next, etc. 

I personally didn't really have a school that I wanted her to attend to. Okay so maybe I wanted her to choose a school in New York only because I love that city, but in the end the choice was all hers. 

I'm grateful she broadened her horizons when it came to applying for schools, and that she chose one close to home. So happy she's staying on the east coast. 

I know she made the right choice, and she does too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment