REPLY

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

my thoughts on giving at christmas.

As I was watching the kids decorating our first real tree I couldn't help but to picture past Christmases when they were all toddlers. I was figuring out the needs, and wants that would benefit them in their life. Not that my kids are spoiled, but I know that all small children get excited for Christmas (even teenagers.) Heck I'm an adult, and I get excited for Christmas. Simply because of their example. My kids have taught me to remember what this season is about. Love, and family fun. I grew up with very few Christmases, and not with so much "family time". As my girls have gotten older I have learned that Christmas is not about the gifts, but the Savior. Especially Sierra, and Lexie who have been telling me that they don't need anything, and to focus on Chelsea & Noah. I always feel bad when they tell me that because I know that they LOVE Christmas, and that opening presents is fun. They have always sacrificed their needs, and wishful wants so that their younger sibs don't go without. Still...I don't want them to be deprived of the Christmas spirit when it comes to gifts. No one should be exempt. Whether it's a simple Christmas card sent in the mail, or a homemade gift. No one should be deprived of gifts. 

A hug, a smile, a kind word, acknowledgment, forgiveness, calling up a loved one, and giving a compliment to someone are the most simplest gifts that anyone can give. Performing small acts of service such as free babysitting, teaching someone to read, or helping our little old neighbor Janet hang her garland outside her house can be a good enough gift to anyone. 

I'm grateful to be raising my kids in a home that focuses on Christ. Knowing that Christmas is all about the Savior will help them realize that they don't need a bunch of "stuff". Spending time as a family by watching movies, playing outdoors, venturing out to places where it's family oriented, eating dinner together, going on drive bys to drop off simple gifts, thinking of others by teaching them to donate their outgrown clothes instead of selling them for money, giving food to the needy, going by the homeless shelter to donate simple items (blankets, socks) without judging them. You know...stuff like that. Those are the gifts that will keep a family in harmony & unified as one. 

I personally enjoy the gifts...not the material ones, but the physical ones. Such as seeing my kids getting along, and decorating the tree without any shenanigans. A hug from my fellow sisters at church, or just a simple smile. I love seeing my kids on Christmas morning with excitement knowing that there will be a few gifts under the tree. I know how it feels to have woken up to nothing. A sour Christmas. I grew up with so many of them, and each year became numb. That magic dissipated for a few years and later returned while in my teens. Now...that magic has been redeemed more than ever by my four children. The magic I once had at the age of six is here to stay for me, & I don't ever want that magic that I see in my children's eyes (no matter how old they get) become interrupted by deprivation, and sadness on Christmas morning. 
As long as we don't burn ourselves out stressing over who to get what, and fighting over parking spaces, and cash registers cursing at the next customer saying "I was here first", or procrastinating our Christmas until the last minute we can enjoy the spirt of giving during this season. Whether it's a gift of the world, a kind word, a book of mormon, or a gift made with love we can all remember the reason for the season.


"Christmas is not for counting the things that you don't have, but for counting the blessings you still have."



No comments:

Post a Comment