REPLY

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Festival of lights on a Sunday night.

After teaching the last lesson in the Doctrine and Covenants for the year in Gospel Docrtine class this past Sunday we left and headed out toward Washington D.C. to see the Festival of Lights, and see Jenny Oaks Baker perform again. Earlier this summer we saw her perform songs from her "Wish Upon A Star" album, and each year she amazes us with her wonderful talent! She truly is an amazing violinist! 
Since Jon drives every day 8-7 for UPS it's kind of hard to go to the temple during the week to see the Christmas festivities that are happening right now. Especially when it's two hours away. We made an effort to go this past Sunday as a family to see the lights, and feel the spirit of The Lord that surrounds this wonderful building. 

For some reason going to see the lights this year, and watching performances from Jenny Oaks Baker, and Alexandria Sharpe was so special. I think it could just be me. The fact that I am getting older with growing kids, and reflecting of all that's important during the Christmas season gives me the burning desire to do so much more in giving The Lord equal time as well. Becoming more familiar with the scriptures is scary because let's face it...I wasn't a hardcore reader. Even though I have a new calling, and won't be teaching Sunday school anymore the desires of my heart to diligently read the scriptures has benefited me for the better. And at 42 years old y'all! It's never to late to take them seriously...I mean really seriously! A calling certainly can strengthen us if we allow it to take over our whole mind, body, and soul. 

The nativity scenes from around the world inside the visitors center were amazing, and each one was unique in it's own. I taped 14 seconds of a few of them, and you can see that here. They are all beautiful! 

I absolutely love this time of year. Going to the temple grounds and seeing it packed with LDS missionaries, and seeing them with their investigators was a sight for sore eyes. Totally reminded me of the time the sisters would invite me to certain activities so that I can become more familiar with the religion. Makes me extremely grateful that I did because when I see investigators stepping in the same shoes I did 21 years ago puts a huge smile on my face. And I pray that they accept. It's all about Christ, and the birth of our Savior. I pray that we can become of one heart, and one mind, and be kind, loving, unified, and deserving of all others. No matter how hard I have it, I know that there is someone else who has it worse. It is the strength of The Lord that I receive and feel in prayer that keeps me going. 

I can go on and on about how passionate I am for the word of God, & all the world to be in unison, and in loving one another. I pray that we can embrace this season with love, and to have that beacon of light shine within us so that others will want it too. 

This Sabbath day ruled, and what a beautiful evening it was to spend most of it at the temple.
 ^^ the talented Jenny Oaks Baker, and me ^^
And so I leave you with an amazing performance by Jenny Oaks Baker playing "Carol of the Bells" from her latest album "Noel". Her talented children also made an appearance & played a christmas medley of carols which you can view here on my you tube page. They most certainly rocked the house this night!

You can listen to "Carol of the Bells" here on my Vimeo.


1 comment:

  1. How fun! And I absolutely love all those Christmas lights! It's the best time of the year :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete