REPLY

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

our first real tree.

In all the years I've been married I have never thought about buying a real tree. Ever! We have always bought them. The first year we were married we were so poor that my in laws gave us one of their old   artificial trees which we used for the first five years of our married life, and then we decided to buy one of our own at Garden Ridge when we moved to San Antonio. I had also purchased three trees which varied in height to represent the storybook The Three Trees and have always put those up as a tradition. We have had the same trees for years, and you know what? I'm kind of tired of them. The fact that they are artificial, and almost 14 years old is no good. They are falling apart, and so this year we bid farewell to all of them except one (we kept the smaller one for Noah.) Glad to have fond memories of our three trees from past Christmases.

While we'll still read the book about the three trees, and keep our mini artificial tree we have started a new tradition in buying a real tree! Sad that I'm starting this late in my married years while having an 18 year old, but I have always learned that it's never to late to start traditions. 

So this past weekend we went out to go tree hunting, and the kids were excited! 
I can't even begin to tell you how emotional I was while being out with my family while choosing it. I had no memories of my own ever picking out a tree with my mother because she mostly owned an artificial one. Then again there were times when we had no Christmas. Seriously...none. No cookies for Santa, no christmas stories to tell, and no gifts under the tree. The fact that I'm doing this with my kids now is my memory telling me that I was okay with hardly having any Christmases. Truly okay, because I'm making Christmas happen with my family. 

But I'm so thrilled that we got a real tree y'all! I mean super duper thrilled! I had to convince Jon into buying a real one though. I think he was a little nervous about the whole keeping it watered, fire hazard thing. I'm sure it's not that hard to maintain a live Christmas tree for a few weeks. 
^^ little red moccasins ^^
One memory I do recall my mother having a real tree was when i was in my teens (can't remember what age.) I was really impressed at how green, and alive she kept it. She probably could have planted it in our backyard clear after Christmas and into the new year if she wanted to. One great thing about my mother is she had a green thumb like no other! That woman could plant, and keep anything alive! 

I am just so happy that we finally have a real tree, and that she's up and ready to show herself off. She smells so good, and I am so pleased that I have started this tradition with the family. Why, oh why I never started this earlier is beyond me. Wish I started this tradition when we first got married instead of now while having two teenagers, but I've learned that it's never to late to start traditions. 

And on this day we did! 
My kids have now told me that once they are on their own with families that they too will also start a tradition of going tree hunting as a family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment